Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Wednesday 28 September 2011

Quilting Colours

When I look at the previous posts, there has been a sad lack of actual quilting.This might just rectify the thought that I do not sew,quilt,or do applique.
The writing is a  little faded but the message is loud and clear.My Dad gave this to me many,many years ago.I think it needs to be hung in a prominent place, where it will jog me along every day.Thanks, Dad.
Round Tuit

Pattern and fabric for Monet's Hexagonmy collection of batik fabrics called for something special, and Shirley Goodwin’s pattern, “ Monet’s Hexagons” seemed perfect.
A few changes in the selection and away I went.The usual interruptions, Housework,laundry, Doctor’s visit, another one next week, and gradually the shapes were cut, placed and sewn.
Hexagon strips





hexagon ready for quilting
Quite a lot of fiddling  to find the best place to hang and photograph. it is not quite as dark as the photo shows. Lots of experiments with gold,yellow,and variegated thread,  before I choose a brighter metallic  thread for the sun and rays, so far just one ray is done. You can see this one, it is at  6.35, on the clock. I used a single buttonhole  stitch, number 45  on my Bernina, this seemed to go very nicely, with super fine iron on interfacing just behind the sun and rays.I use a special needle for metallic threads, and ..NO breaking thread !!!
This has to be finished next Monday, as it is a gift No dawdling or hesitation this time.Just  Get On and Finish It !!!
Quotations of the day, both from Edward Young, 1683-1765
this is from “ The Love of Fame”
Some for renown on scraps of learning dote,
And think they grow immortal as they quote.

And this is from “ Night Thoughts”
Procrastination is the thief of time.
Cheers from Jean

No comments: