Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Thursday 17 May 2012

Autumn Snow

Mt Ruapehu
Today I    travelled home, via the Desert Road, across the centre of the North Island. Last night and early this morning   a considerable  amount of snow fell, and there was  still some at the side of the road in the afternoon. We stopped to boil the billy, and have a muffin, and I crossed the road to get some photos.
Another car also stopped, and yes, the  very  friendly  man also had a Canon camera, his a 7D.
He suggested some settings for me, to get the best effects with snow,sky and tussock.
Thank you, to the man from Virginia. I saw you again, by the corrugated iron gumboot in Taihape. Enjoy your  time  in New Zealand, and  safe travels  wherever you are.

Mt Ngauruhoe, with less exposure, not so much colour contrast with this photo.
Mt Ngauruhoe

Snow on the Kaimanawa  Mountains, to the East,
and  cloud  over Mt Ngauruhoe

Snow on the Kaimanawa  RangesCloud over the Mt
The Kaimanawa Mountains taken with the telephoto lens.
Kaimanawa snow with telephoto lens
Back home, the leaves are falling fast, all colours of autumn, with gold,red,
brown,russet and some still slightly green.
I have had a wonderful time with the family in Rotorua, a true holiday, no set time when I had to return home.
This morning  it was 1.5 Celsius when I drove the family to school, and said goodbye till next time. Very quiet at our home tonight,I miss you all.

Quotation of the day from  Harley King
“ May your dreams be larger than mountains,
 and  may you have the courage to scale their summits”
Cheers from Jean

2 comments:

Lindsjö taxar said...

Great pictures of the mountins with the snow.
Thats cold, we have some rain here today but spring is progressing.

Tanya said...

I wish I had someone who would give me personal photography instruction. I am still doing hit-and-miss photography. Your pictures are fantastic! Either a great teacher, or a great camera or a great eye! Probably all of the above!