Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Thursday 7 June 2012

Clouds cover our Sky

The Transit of Venus occurred on 6th June 2012. This is a once in a lifetime event, occurring  in pairs every 125 years. The last transit was in 2004, but not visible in New Zealand.Photographers waited patiently, lenses covered with protective glass, viewers,with eyes also protected,gathered in groups. I waited, welder’s #11 glass ready to cover the camera lens. The cloud arrived, and stayed. This photo is courtesy of the Internet, taken  by NASA’s  Solar Dynamics Observatory, there is  also a video which is public domain and can be downloaded.
 Venus Transit by NASA's SDO
Late in the afternoon, the birds were flitting around this tree,this one perched for a very short time.
bird posing

While we were at Piropiro Flats, we met John, from Taupo Bay.He emailed me his own photo, taken at another hunting area, complete with a deer hanging over his shoulder. His other photos show Rita waiting by John’s pack, her bright orange collar is so she will be seen in the bush.His email read” I must say you look  a real  lady on your blog,not like the bush bunny I met down there. LOL “ So there is a photo of “ A Bush Bunny” the small rabbit came out of the bush  each afternoon, and was not in a hurry to run away. Considering the cold mornings, chilly nights, at least 3 layers , with  Merino, warm fleece, a Gore-Tex coat over all this, fleece hat and gloves, how did  John recognise me in the other photo??? Thanks John for your photos.
Rita waitingRita with bright collar
John with SikaRita, with John from Taupo Bay
Bunny at Piropiro Flats


Quotation of the day, from Samuel Johnson
“ He that will enjoy the brightness of sunshine, must quit the coolness of the shade”
Cheers from Jean

7 comments:

Susan Heather said...

cloud here as well although I see in the paper that some people managed to see it in between the clouds.

Nancy J said...

Yes Susan, I was all ready, but too much cloud, so I am very happy to see photos courtesy of NASA. I think the best place in NZ was near Wanaka or somewhere in the far south .Cheers, Jean.

Julie Fukuda said...

If you wait another 105 years, you will get another chance. The local schools were out in force and I wonder how many of those little kids will remember what they saw even ten years from now.

Laurie said...

Not only clouds here but rain also .... shame .... hugs Laurie

Lindsjö taxar said...

We had sunny today but it came some huge showers. I was lucky to not go in the ring with my dogs :-) Exhibition today with great result, I´m proud.

Ashling said...

That's a great quote....

Bummer on the clouds arriving and pre-empting your view of the Venus transit!

Nancy J said...

Yes, all set up, and no photos to record this exciting literally once in a lifetime event.My quotes, they are harder to find for the post than writing the words. Thanks for adding yourself to my list. I am so happy to see you there , and always enjoy your blog Cheers from Jean.