Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Monday 4 February 2013

Twisted Log Cabin

 

Some friends have been asking about the latest project I have started. I found this pattern in Australian Patchwork & Quilting, maybe the edition of  October 2001. Then I lost the book.Hunted everywhere, and finally decided I had given it away.One night I wanted a magazine to read, picked this one up, and FOUND the pattern. I am not a fan of orange, so decided to use my favourite colours, greens and purples. You need 9 shades of one colour, 10 shades of the other, from very  light to dark.  I am up to strip #6.

Finished size is 17.5 inches by 41.5 inches. I want to finish this very soon, so am doing 2 strips a day, but not today, Rest and recuperation are on the menu.

Twisted log canin original colours

My colours for twisted log cabin

Quotation of the day by Leigh Hunt

“ Colours are the smiles of nature”

Greetings from Jean

15 comments:

Janet said...

Interesting pattern! What is it called?

Nancy J said...

Hi Janet, it is called a spiral log cabin, I can copy, and email to you, if you would like , it was in a very old magazine.I copied the template onto very thin fusible webbing, they used paper, and you put the fabric on the underside (fusible) and sew on the top on the drawn lines. I hope to get it to the almost finished stage this weekend, so photos then. Greetings from Jean

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Very nice design. Love your Colour selection

Cheers

Linda

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Nice pattern and I love your colors.

Happy sewing ~ FlowerLady

Julie Fukuda said...

Looks like fun to me!

Georgia said...

Love your batiks! Thank you for taking care of yourself!

Carol Mattingly said...

That is going to e gorgeous Jean.

Nancy J said...

Thanks for all your words. I think the original shows the spirals more, but not my fav. colours at all.It was called " Bushfire" and has appliqued geckos and leaves at the sides. But I like it plain. Rain means no outside work, so more strips going on today. Greetings from Jean.

Lindsjö taxar said...

Beautiful work you do!!!Very n ice!!

Kat said...

This is beautiful! I have never seen one like it before. I love the colors you chose, those batiks are gorgeous! That's one thing missing from my stash -- batiks! I may have to get some and give this pattern a try.

Nancy J said...

Thanks Lindsjo and Kat, I use batiks mostly, a lovely fine weave, and perfect for applique. Kat, I can copy and email the pattern if you would like it, just let me know. Cheers from Jean.

Kate said...

We are obviously kindred spirits. I have many of those fabrics in my collection. (sounds better than stash!)
I look forward to watching the process.

Nancy J said...

I have found a spelling error, after looking at some photos in " My Pictures" how could "cabin" get spelt as "canin", probably very easily... but if you do not click on the top photo, no-one will know!!! Cheers, Jean.

Gayle said...

That's amazing. I can't imagine doing such precise work. I'm quite sure I'd never finish something with so much detail.

Nancy J said...

Well Gayle I have lots of unfinished things packed away, one day I hope they all get done and displayed!!! Cheers, Jean