Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Monday 25 August 2014

Look up,Look down,are the optometrist’s words

 

I did look up, then I did look down, and what did I see? Trees!!!

looking up

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

looking down

Tree over the edgeThis one  was felled in a gap between other trees, and  is  down partly over the edge of the stream, so it will be a cut, trim and winch job , I might close my eyes at the difficult part!!! These rounds are cut, ready for splitting on Wednesday. The splitter is  a petrol driven machine, photos to come  on Thursday.

Rounds cut and ready for splitting

Tonight the sunset was gloriously  deep pink for those fleeting moments.The larger photo is looking to the West, the tall trees are to the North, and with some trees now felled, I can see more of the  afternoon sky.

sunset August 25th 2014sunset colours behind the trees

Quotation of the day, by Martin  Luther

“For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.”

Greetings from Jean

19 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

So pretty but I can't imagine the size of those rounds.

Nancy J said...

Hi Julie, without running over there with a torch ... about 12 inches long, and maybe 16 inches across, some will be less, and at the bottom of the trunk, lots wider. Hugs,Jean.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Great photos! Lots of wood there.

Love the sunset pictures.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Georgia said...

Beautiful pink sunset! Glad you still can see the lovely things.

TexWisGirl said...

a lot of work goes into making wood! :)

Carol Mattingly said...

You guys have a virtual forest there. I love it and would love to have that where I am. Carol

Jenn Jilks said...

Ah, when a tree falls in the forest!
We have some that need to be taken down.
I chopped a small one with the axe the other day, but the big ones need to go.
Next month!

camp and cottage living said...

Gorgeous pink sky, Jean!
And how satisfying to be getting that wood ready for next years cold weather.

Barb said...

I can see it's tree cutting time again! Please stay out of harm's way (Hugh, too).

eileeninmd said...

Wow, that is a lot of work.. Our neighbor was nice to just drop off some wood for us.. Love the sky shots, pretty pink! Have a happy week!

KB said...

Those are big trees, both up and down!!!

I love your sunset!

Lindsjö taxar said...

Great Pictures! We have lots of them too ...

Hannah said...

It's hard for me to imagine just how big that pile of branches and cut rounds will be when the tree comes down. And then there is trying to deal with the stump and the roots left behind as well! Lovely sunsets, I don't see that much color in the sunsets here.

Pearl said...

I was in the Pacific Northwest a number of years ago and still remember the beauty of looking up at the incredible trees. Thank you for bringing that image back!

Greetings from Minneapolis!

Pearl

Michaele said...

I second that emotion on green being better than gold! I can't believe you guys take on a job like this! You are my heros.

Jim said...

So that is where the wood came from!
So fortunate that you can use and get wood from your own piece of land. Much like the pioneers did.

Jenn Jilks said...

I've ordered 3 full cords. I'll have my work cut out for me!

Here I Am Carrie said...

Those are some pretty big and tall trees you were cutting. What a beautiful sunsets.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Beautiful sunsets!