Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Wednesday 4 March 2015

Entertainment, indoors and outdoors…

 

How close can you go

November, 2012, a baby blackbird was in the garden, Felicity ventured, sniffed, jumped back, and finally left it to fly away.

The other day, on her short legs, she raced inside, from the small pond area, across the lawn, up the steps, and sat under the dining table. Dangling from her mouth was a small rabbit. She held it so gently. There is a family living there among the agapanthus, our Ginger Boy sits and studies the area so closely. This small bundle of fur sat, ran into the other room, hid under Hugh’s chair, scuttled round, Felicity tried to follow, not intent on anything but a game. Finally Hugh caught it, I held it in a towel, and talked gently, telling it that safety was down the track, in long  grass, with some sunshine. 20minutes later, it had walked away. All was safe. One photo, all the others too blurry, how can you hold a camera, get a good shot, try to catch a rabbit, kneel on the floor, huddle round the fireplace, all at the same time???

rabbit under the chair

That was the other day, today our tree feller arrived, one bare tree  trunk, one TALL  pine, and a gum, all done safely, falling in the exact place where they should. Lots more firewood, such is life, I can see some serious days of outside work coming. We have lots of help for the cutting, and splitting, thank goodness.Safety meant I had to be a long way away, even  at that distance  the crash was so loud.

Tallest pine ready for the chop

Pine tree falling

gum tree waiting

To the right of the truck,  in the  third  photo,is the red plane, Hugh made this, the propeller spins furiously when the wind blows, and we know the direction as well. So many visitors have asked if he was a pilot at some time?  NO, but he would have so liked to.

Quotation of the day, author unknown

“ Like the trees, stand  tall,

be not afraid to go out on a limb,

be happy with how others see you ,

and enjoy the view from up high,.”

 

Greetings from Jean

20 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

How old are those trees? They are so tall. I am surprised they don't get hung up on the surrounding ones. They say chopped firewood warms you twice.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jean, cute bunny! I am glad it was ok and returned outside.. That is a big tree. I hope all is well, have a happy day!

TexWisGirl said...

glad you rescued that adorable bunny!!! glad your kitty is so gentle with them. :)

happy the trees came down where they were supposed to. you brought up a good memory for me - my father made a wooden airplane with propellers and mounted it in the yard as a wind whirly-gig. i loved it. :)

Carol Mattingly said...

What a fantastic series of stories. I was totally enthralled Jean. That baby rabbit, so so adorable. I hope you have tons of help with the wood. Carol

Barb said...

You sure have some old-growth trees on your property, Jean. Poor little bunny - glad the kitty was gentle.

KB said...

I'm so glad that your cat is so gentle - good job getting a photo of the cute bunny!

Those are some very tall trees! Lots of firewood...

Michaele said...

Well that bunny is going to have some stories to tell when it gets back to the nest. Bless you all for not harming it. Lucky bunny. Your tall trees are beautiful. I hope you don't have to work as hard this year.

Allie said...

I'll never forget when my cat brought a live bird into the house - ugh. Thank goodness the bunny was ok. Glad you have help with the firewood hon, that's a lot of chopping!! Love the airplane!

Kate said...

So glad the bunny is back with his family, safe and sound. They need to get ready for Easter!
I hope you told Felicity she was a good girl, not hurting the baby.

Jim said...

TIMBER!
You guys are 'pioneers' in a way....felling and using what nature has provided for you.
Great photos Jean....you are a natural at this....photojournalism.
I wonder what percentage of cats would have been as gentle as Felicity and Ginger Boy? Lucky little bunny.
I like the red plane Hugh made.

Our photos said...

A lot has happened ! I'm glad the blackbird and the rabbit survived !

Fundy Blue said...

Hi Jean! I've been enjoying your recent posts. I always seem to be playing catch-up! First, I was happy to hear that you finally got that referral to the spinal clinic in Wellington. I hope you get the answer you are hoping for. My first husband had serious spinal injuries, so you and your hubby have my sympathy and well wishes. It's fascinating to hear about your life in New Zealand. When I think of NZ, my first image is always the two islands on a map stuck in the middle of the ocean. There are so many things I'd love to see there, but it all seems a little unreal. It's fascinating to read about all these many thousands and thousands of people going on with their regular lives. It's sort of like looking a a jetliner in the sky and realizing that there are all kinds of people up in that plane, reading, napping, eating and just zipping through the sky. Thanks for making NZ feel more real to me! Sending you and your hubby good wishes!

Vagabonde said...

I love that picture with the tiny rabbit hiding under the armchair. I guess you are having these trees cut because you chose to? We will have more than 80 trees cut but it is not our choice – the County Water Commission is placing a water main and is having them cut – we have no say unfortunately.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love hiring the pros for this kind of thing! I really should pass on my chain saw.
I hope life is treating you well. We're a bit shellshocked here. Only a cat, but hubby is very upset. Many hugs back at you! xx

Urban Rundström said...

Hi Jean!

Our cat is tame and sleeps inside nearly every night. She´s hate coold weather and love when it´s warm and hot. She sleeps in the full sun and just love it. She is 13 years old and lost one leg when she was one year. But she is running and climb in trees and have no problem with that.

Regards / Urban

Janet said...

Oh the bunny is so sweet. One of my cats came home with a baby bunny once and I tried to revive it but it didn't live. So glad to hear your cats are gentle. We have a plane like yours at our airport, only it is a real plane, a DC8 I believe. It spins around with the wind too.http://explorenorth.com/library/aviation/cf-cpy.html

Tanya said...

Glad that all the critters are healthy and safe. that is a great photo of Felicity and the bird!

Ashling said...

Bunny rescues and laying in firewood...sounds like a good week!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Aww, I imagine the little bunny was wondering how in the world he got under your furniture! I have a horrid fear of chainsaws and need to not be anywhere near when my husband uses one. I don't know where it came from. Just another one of those useless phobias I have. Oh well. Your trees are pretty- I hope you don't have to cut too many of them down.

bj said...

Cute little bunny...and beautiful trees.