Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Tuesday 6 October 2015

Will there ever be sufficient??

 

Firewood, with wonderful help the logs are getting cut up, the small stuff heaped to dry, the scrap stuff burnt, and all that is left at the end of a day is a little pile of ash.Truly, nothing from a tree is wasted,  even the small cones will dry for a fire next year.

On the fabric scale. what I have looked to be more than enough, but I have run out of a blue, a pale background, and a suitable purple!!! I thought, when I sorted the batiks into their colours, it was a lot, but when I think of other bloggers, with huge stash, maybe mine is on the miniature level. Time to go shopping!!!

The geese for the project with Sandy, at Upstairs Hobby Room , are flying along, more rectangles and squares are cut and ready to go. This will be bright, and have lots of different combinations. The bonus with Sandy’s Geese, I have 2  smaller squares , with half triangles, from every set.They are in the top right hand corner.

I have no idea what will be in store for next month, but think maybe these blocks when all together might be the centre of a quilt, a wide sashing to outline them, then the next set of whatever we get to do. This is exciting as from one month to the next ,it is all different. Surprises wait.

Flying Geese ready for the second partGeese, squares and backgrounds all cut

Yesterday Joyce went to Wanganui, and another beautiful jar of flowers from Daphne arrived home. Freesias of every shade, all perfumed, tulips, a Dutch Iris, Ixia in various shades, and an early Ranunculus.  The colours are as they are in real life, just a delicate frame in some PP.

Flowers from Daphne #3

Quotation of the day, from Dr. Seuss

“ Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory”

Greetings from Jean

13 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

Jean, those flowers are gorgeous and the way you photographed them is fantastic. Glad you are enjoying quilting. Have a wonderful day. Carol

Susan Heather said...

The colours of those flowers are wonderful - great photo.

Janet said...

It always befuddles me that even though I have reams of fabric, there is always some colour or tone that I don't have when I am working on a project. Beautiful flowers. Hope your woodpile is getting tamed.

TexWisGirl said...

gorgeous blooms!!

Julie Fukuda said...

What fun you are having with those pieces. And we are having fun watching at a distance to see where they are taking you on this journey.

Mystic Quilter said...

Wonderful flowers - I can smell the freesia! Mine are almost finished now, sadly.
Seems like you're going to be cosy and warm next Winter, with no shortage of wood for the fire!

Allie-oops Designs said...

Oh your blocks are just gorgeous, I love all the batiks. And I can almost smell those flowers - lovely!

Leeanne said...

I think I can smell those flowers!

KB said...

We need firewood - we never ever have enough (because it's my husband's lowest priority, as far as I can tell). Can you ship us some?

Jenn Jilks said...

It must feel good to get all this done!
I checked on the wood down below and it is starting to grow fungus. What a pain. We took it easy today.
I have to find another sewing project, too!
Take care, good to hear things are moving along. I love the flowers. We're shutting everything down.
xx

Nancy J said...

Day off today, I had a Doctor's visit, yes, for ME, not Hugh.Nothing worrying at all ... Firewood had a holiday. KB, container costs from NZ to Colorado vary, from $6000 to $10,000 for about 66 cubic metres. Then take in the felling, splitting, drying time, I would stay with a furnace and diesel!!! Today I gave in, and just HAD to buy some batiks. Blue, striking purple, and two pale ones. Now some foam sheet boards, flannelette, and a design wall is next.

Karen said...

Oh gosh Jean, I wish I could get into quilting again. I have heaps of fabric just begging to be patched together. Those flowers are just gorgeous.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

How lovely the flowers are, and for me, this time of year they would be perfect, and the fabrics would be a nice color pick-me-up too!

Seeing your comment above, a busy day for you, that I hope ends on a good note for all at your house!