Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Friday 16 September 2016

Did you jog along with this blog hop?

 

Cloud 9  New Block Blog Hop

Yvonne at  Quilting Jetgirl    Cheryl at  Meadow Mist Designs  and Stephanie at  Late Night Quilter   are the hosts of this fantastic event. For three days, each host  in turn has arranged for 20 or so quilters to present their own block, on one of those day ,  made with a selection of fabric fat quarters  donated  from Cloud 9. All of the finished blocks will be assembled into quilts  and donated to a charity.

I scrolled through the blogs each night, and found so many I really liked, it was hard to select the ones I have made.  Here they are.

This was the first one, called “ Porthole” and this seemed to jump out and say “    Make Me”.  Memories of my dear friend Walter who served in HMS, and I wondered if at any time in  all those years on mine laying  manoeuvres, did he have a porthole in his bunkroom?I sent a photo to Leanne at Devoted Quilter  as this was her designed block,  and received the  most lovely reply.

Porthole, from  Leanne at  The Devoted Quilter

Next up was one from Daisy at Ants to Sugar . this gave  me a little trouble, but again a superb pattern, and although I used only 3 fabrics, am happy with it. I tried to find your email address, Daisy, but failed, so left you a comment. I do like this layout so much, and am sure I will be making  ONE. lots more.

Ants to Sugar Cloud 9 Block

Finally, a strippy one from Stephanie at Late Night Quilter,Again, I had to alter her pattern slightly, as I was using batiks I had in my stash/box/ cupboard… and didn’t have enough of the blues.. these will go with sashing either side of  Leanne’s Porthole to make a table runner.

Cloud 9 Late Night Quilter'sBlock

All is well here, I have not needed a B&B away from home, with transport provided, for a week now, and am so thankful for that. And again, I thank you for your words, care, support and more all over again.

Quotation of the day , author unknown

“ The goal in life is not to be the best,

or to beat the other man,

but to be  better than you were yesterday””

Greetings from Jean

18 comments:

Out To Pasture said...

All lovely blocks, but I really liked the "Porthole" design. It certainly has a nautical feeling. The colours are gorgeous!

Paige said...

Jean, looks like you are a master at curves! I know the designers will be thrilled to to see blocks made from their tutorials.

Tish Stemple said...

I have been following along with this hop and I have been extremely impressed with all of the blocks. So much talent out in quilt blogging land. I love all of your blocks in the batik prints. I think Leanne's Porthole in the blues and reds is my favorite. Glad to hear you are feeling much better and you must be, because these pictures show you have been a busy lady this week :)

Barb said...

I'm thankful that your being crafty and quilty but not visiting the hospital again. Hope you're feeling better and drinking lots of water!

TexWisGirl said...

really neat designs. glad you're doing well!

KB said...

Gorgeous designs. I love the "Ants to Sugar" one. Most of all, I love the news that you've had a peaceful and hopefully healthy week. :)

camp and cottage living said...

Those first two blocks look so challenging to someone like me, Jean. Just the fact that you are considering making them tell how far you've come in your quilting abilities!
I hope you're doing better Jean. Let me know...

Leeanne said...

Looks like some fun hopping!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Great blocks! Thanx for the links, off now to have a little look!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, pretty blocks! I am glad you are feeling well again.

Happy weekend to you!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Pretty, but I think I like the second one best, and it does look to be a hard one. I would never be able to cut the fabric precisely enough for the curves. You are very talented.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Such pretty blocks and gorgeous colours. You really know how to coordinate your fabrics...a failing of mine. Continued good health to you Jean!

Tanya said...

So sorry that you have had many health scares the past couple of weeks. But you stay cheery and write with great humor and your blog friends can see the good health of your spirits. AND your fingers, too! You have some real beauties in your blocks there! Take care.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are, indeed, devoted. You sound much better. I'm so glad to read it. How beautiful! xx

Inger said...

I'm so glad you had some good news about your health. It's so scary to not know what's going on. I admire your quilting skills, something I cannot do, but love to look at.

Fundy Blue said...

I'm guessing Walter didn't have a porthole, and that bunkum probably had a number of bunks in it. The lovely porthole pattern calls to me too! Daisy's block is lovely, but boy that looks hard! You do inspiring work, Jean! Sending you love and hugs!

Fundy Blue said...

My comment disappeared again argh!!! I'm going to see if somehow it turns up! Have a lovely weekend, Jean!

Puppilalla said...

Now that Yvonne is trying tentative layouts for the charity quilt with the Cloud 9 blocks, I am just browsing to see if any of the Blog Hop Blocks actually got made by other quilters and you made three. Fantastic. With you kind permission I am going to reference your blocks in a blog post of mine. =)