Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Monday 31 July 2017

And the Cold came in from the South


New Zealanders have shivered in the recent cold snap, having  in some places the coldest day of the year.

Those further North have huddled up and moaned miserably about the 4C, or slightly more, while those down south ( they breed very hardy folk there)  tell them……..

“  Swallow a concrete  pill, harden up, and wear more merino”!!!

In the South Island, Tekapo in the Mackenzie District  managed to reach –0.4 Celsius on Saturday!!! This was after an overnight low of –10 C.

Tekapo photos courtesy of the Internet.

Lake Tekapo with frost, ice and snow. July 2017

Lake Tekapo, 29th July 2017

Hoar frost near  Tekapo in  a previous year.

frost at Tekapo

The frost we had seems very mild in comparison. Our front lawn.

Frost in July 2017

I found one more owl languishing in the pile of batik fabrics, he needs to be ironed onto the background, and I need to reply to  the rest of the lovely bloggers who left a comment. Ruru is doing well.

Quotation of the day, from Mark Twain, and I wonder where he was  when he wrote these words…

“Cold! If the thermometer had been an inch longer

we’d have frozen to death”

Greetings from Jean.




.



20 comments:

Leeanne said...

haha.........ist the lass from the 'winterless north'.......we had our second frost and survived! :-)
Magical photo's!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I am getting shivers from looking at the cold images of the snow. I am a wimp when it comes to cold temperatures and winter. The tree image is lovely! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, that is chilly!! The photos of the lake and mountains are gorgeous.

Margie said...

Fun to see the weather in your home. It is HOT in Wyoming USA. But we are also very cold in winter.

Carol Mattingly said...

Love those images. The snow looks wonderful considering how hot we've had it here. Thank God the weather has broken a little and this upcoming weekend will be in the 80's and sunny. I will love that. Carol

Tish Stemple said...

Seeing your beautiful pictures reminds me of how much I love the snow and miss it during our hot and humid summers here. Stay warm my friend! I will have to remember the concrete pill quote this winter :)

Kate said...

The pictures are beautiful.

Mystic Quilter said...

Yes, it surely has been coming up from the South Pole! I couldn't believe it when I saw the news of the temperature at Tekapo, not my ideal! The hoar frost is though, I've always loved seeing branches, fences etc . glittering away.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

Beautiful pictures, Nancy! We are going through a heat wave here. I'll be happy to send some of our warmth to you if you promise to send some of your cold our way. LOL Have a great week! --Andrea

The Furry Gnome said...

Well, I have to admit that doesn't sound very chilly to me. A week of -30C would toughen them up!

Fundy Blue said...

I cracked up over the quote, "Swallow a concrete pill, harden up, and wear more merino.” I had never heard that before, but it speaks volumes! And the Mark Twain quote, also unknown to me, was very funny! Sending you love and hugs, Jean!

Karen said...

Oh, I envy you! I love the cold, and snow and ice. Guess that's because I am Canadian. Our summer is dreadful, temps sitting at 36C, that's climate change for you!

Nancy J said...

Hi to you all, Yes Mr F.G. -10 isn't very cold, but for us down here, it's getting a mite chilly, The concrete pill, a favourite saying down on the farms,the "winterless north" a friend in Doubtless Bay is still in T shirt and shorts!! I think I know where most of you live, but Andrea, not sure? Maybe you can update me with an email.And, as always, I so enjoy your comments, specially when it involves the weather, the quilting or the furry friends. Thanks heaps.

Julie Fukuda said...

Hard to think of cold with the sweat running into my eyes....

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You prove that temperature is all relative...what you use yourself to, as an old grandmother would say. I too love those quotes...certainly good ones for us to remember come next January!!

Our photos said...

That's cold ! Fortunately this results in very nice photos !

Allie-oops Designs said...

Ugh won't be long before we're seeing the cold here - I'm never ready! Lovely pics.

Janet said...

Kind of looks like here in November! So funny that it is cold there now - we are having the hottest weather so far this summer. It is 26C or so today. Enjoy the coolness. I personally love cold weather. So crisp and clean.

KB said...

I hope that you have a warm crackling fire to keep you cozy despite that impressive winter weather!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the tree covered in ice is so beautiful! but looks very cold - like our northern states.