Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Sunday 13 August 2017

The Snowflake was so lucky to survive!!

I had wonderful plans to have the snowflake block all finished, applique all done, and batting ready.I joined in the QAL, thinking I would so easily manage a block or two.

Week one, block one, is from Vanda who lives in South Africa. Her words were …..

Without further ado, here is block 1. A snowflake, I just could not resist making a snowflake. You see where I live in South Africa our Christmas falls in summer. And I would absolutely love to see a snow white Christmas……

I picked out some fabrics, dithered around, and finally chose a deep midnight blue with gold stars. In the centre is our New Zealand icon, a Kiwi, and in real life only comes out at night.

“ Starry,starry night” came to my mind.

Snowflake choices #2snowflake choices #1

Snowflake #3

The applique was started,  the background is a little darker to show the variegated Madeira thread, and a slanted stitch #23  on my Bernina  QE 440.

Snowflake #4 showing applique thread colours

Then the plan all fell to pieces, My husband had a fall, catapulted himself about 6 feet, fell onto a step on his back. How life changes in a flash. Rang the ambulance, rang a friend, finally ambulance arrived, single crew, he rang the fire brigade, and  then they used a body board that slides in two halves underneath, to get him onto the stretcher and into the ambulance.  Off to hospital, after a lot of pain relief, 12 X-Rays, up to the ward, and CT scans the next day. He has what is called “ an undisplaced fracture” of the acromion, a small bone at the back of his right shoulder. No surgery needed as they called it “smashed” so it will heal all by itself, but will be months rather than weeks.  Hugh’s right arm is no good, he cannot use it at all, and there is pain and bruising in lots of other places. I have just read that Turtles also have this bone!!! I wonder how they manage if it gets smashed.

Here are the 4 men and one lady ( not all in the photo)  contemplating the best way to move my man!!! What a gallant lot they were, and I am so thankful for all the help we had.

Fire Brigade, body board and Hugh, August 2017 #2


So if I am off the radar, and do not leave comments or do a post now or then, I will be doing a whole lot of other things here.

Quotation of the day, from Robert Burns

“ The best laid plans of mice and men

often go awry”

Greetings from Jean.

32 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh Jean, I am so sorry to hear about your husband's fall. I am so grateful that you got caring help and that things are not worse. I can relate to months of recovery for a spouse, so if you ever need a listening ear, please drop me an email. Hugs and love to you both. xx

Leeanne said...

HOLY MOLEY girl!!!! I will be thinking you both, take care.

Paige said...

On no, I'm sorry to hear this, Jean! Thinking of you both! Your block looks great though!

Jenny and Robin said...

So sorry to read about Hugh's fall, Jean, and the slow recovery time. Sadly, it's just one thing after the other in your household, it seems. Thinking of you both and sending cyber hugs from sunny Cairns (where we are holidaying). Thank goodness for ambulance staff.

barbaradougherty126 said...

so sorry. hope he feels better quickly. prayers your way.
You block is beautiful. Love the Kiwi!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Jean ~ How awful for the both of you!!! You are in my thoughts and prayers. ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Lisa England said...

Oh goodness, what a lousy turn of events. For your husband's sake (and yours!) I hope his recovery goes well and is faster than expected. Don't forget to take care of yourself while you are taking care of him.

Carol Mattingly said...

Oh Hugh. So sorry to hear this. I know he's in good hands with you Jean. Take care and take care of Hugh. Carol

Allie-oops Designs said...

Oh my goodness - praying for your hubby!!!! My son just fell down the stairs last night himself, but managed to get up and go to work today...ah youth. Oh sweetie you just take care of your man, and don't forget to get enough rest yourself!!!!! Praying for you all!!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jean, I am so sorry to hear about your Hugh's fall. Sending my prayers and get well wishes for Hugh and you. Take care of yourself and Hugh.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Good Heavens, you hubby probably shouldn't be doing flips! Hope he heals faster than expected and that, for your sake, he's not too demanding of a patient.

Out To Pasture said...

So sorry that Hugh had this painful fall. Yet again we are reminded of how much we need our medics, each other and courage to face these mishaps. Hope he heals well and you stay strong, yourself!

The Furry Gnome said...

Oh that's dreadful. Take care of yourself while you're taking care of him!

Julie Fukuda said...

OUCH! That is the kind of news nobody needs. Prayers heading across the pond for you both.

KB said...

I'm so sorry about your news. I hope that Hugh recovers quickly and that you don't get too worn out.

Fundy Blue said...

Oh, Jean! Poor Hugh! How frightening that must have been for both of you! I do hope that Hugh is doing a little better ~ definitely, I hope the pain is under control. Hugh is lucky to have you by his side. By the way, your New Zealand snowflake block is gorgeous. You'll get back to the activities you love, but right now Hugh needs your strength and encouragement. I'm sure this setback is maddening and frustrating for him. Sending you hugs and love and wishes for Hugh's recovery sooner rather than later. I look forward to your return!

Bobbi @ Snowy Days Quilting said...

Your block is stunning! I just love the background and the bird in the center. I hope your husband starts feeling better soon. That's a long recovery!

Cheryl said...

I am so sorry to hear about your husband, I will keep him in my thoughts and hope he recuperates quickly.

Jenn Jilks said...

You just take care, my dear. All your friends, far and away, will be cheering for you. xo

Jim said...

Jean, now this was unexpected! But what ever is, eh?
Sounds like time will be your friend for the next while. I am hoping Hugh will heal well and quickly. And I hope you get rest to keep up to the demands that you have right now. Take care.

Tish Stemple said...

Thanks goodness for a wonderful team of emergency workers! I'm so sorry to hear about Hugh's fall, that had to be so scary :( I hope he rests and is able to have a speedy recovery.

Susan Heather said...

So sorry to hear of Hugh's fall and yet another trip in an ambulance. What would we do without that service. I do hope the time frame is a little shorter than expected. Take care of yourself as well as Hugh.

Love and hugs from the north.

Jenn Jilks said...

I feel so badly for you. We all love you so much. Take good care! xo

What Karen Sees said...

Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear about your husband's accident. I hope he will heal quickly. (In answer to your question about my eclipse photo, I used my mirrorless Fuji X-T2 and and the equivalent of a 300mm lens. I also used a tripod and made a special filter so as not to damage the camera.)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I just found you from Tuna in Minnesota. Hope your hubby will be fine a long recovery ahead it sounds -

Inger said...

I realized I had not heard from you or seen you post comments, so I came to find out why and OH, I am so sorry to hear this. Hugh has been through so much and so have you. I am so sorry, dear Jean. Please don't even think about the gift for Rachael or worry about getting it done. Take good care of yourself and your dear husband. I will keep you both in my thoughts. Sending love.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the injury. Prayers to get well soon...

Janet said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope he is feeling okay and that you are managing. Your block looks lovely - I know you'll get it finished sometime.

Sharon - IN said...

Oh goodness. I'm so sorry to learn of your husband's fall and injuries. I hope he is healing, resting, and all will work back toward normal. Prayers and peace for the two of you.

Our photos said...

Oh dear, Jean. Best of luck in these difficult times. Hope it will be better soon (with the both of you) !

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I'm thinking of you. I so hope that all is well in your corner of the world! Take care!!

Cheryl said...

How is your husband doing now Nancy? I hope that he is recovering well.