Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Tuesday 20 February 2018

The South Island Beckoned

On Monday morning  19th February, Hugh and I set off for a holiday in  the South Island, a drive of over 2 hours, a ferry crossing across Cook Straight, just over 3 hours, then more driving over 2-3 days of about  800 km.

I am a  CALM sea girl,and was quite apprehensive about the crossing. Cook Straight is notorious for  rough seas, and with the tail end of Cyclone Gita arriving near New Zealand, thought this might mean a bit of a jobble.We boarded,amid cars, vans, utes, huge trucks and horse trucks or floats. It was so noisy down below. Above, everyone settled in, babies in arms, toddlers, tourists and then us locals. We left Wellington Harbour,  and were on our way to Picton. I sat and looked out the window for a while,then found a double seat, and curled up for a much needed sleep.I woke when we entered Tory Channel. A bit like the children who ask “ Are we there yet?” I was amazed that I slept almost all the way, it was SOOO calm!!!

Cook Straight map

Image result for Tory Channel Photos

A rush to get all the passengers and vehicles off, a 45 minute turn-around, and back it went to Wellington. We tootled off to Diane’s place just off this map, and to  below  where Blenheim is shown. Tuesday morning ( today)  set off for Kaikoura. Not too far out of town, road signs, men in orange jackets…..and traffic was diverted to a stop.The southern road was closed, the tail end of Cyclone Gita was arriving, and  huge waves would possible,or probably wash over the coastal road.

Meantime,some shopping,I didn’t find a fabric shop, and the heavy rain was not attractive at all. Some new waterproof mid height boots a real necessity!!! Look at them, so comfy, and maybe at the moment more necessary than batiks.And they were on sale!!!

Salomon X Ultra 2 Mid GTX Women's Hiking Boots

All photos courtesy of the Internet, I took my little Canon Ixus on the ferry, and after a few photos, it told me “ Memory Card is Full”,I transferred the photos  to my laptop  before we left, and forgot to delete them on the card. So after today, can use the heavier Canon  and get some touristy scenes to share.

If the road is open tomorrow, we  will slowly make our way south.If not, will catch up on news from around the blogging  friendship scenes.

Quotation of the day, by Franklin D Roosevelt

“ Calm seas never made a good  sailor”

Greetings from Jean.

8 comments:

Susan Heather said...

So pleased you had a good crossing and managed to sleep through it. I hear there has been a State of Emergency declared in Christchurch. LLove the new boots.

I also love my Canon Ixus. I have finally upgraded to a smart phone and have been using that for photos but will be going back to the Canon.

Hope the rest of the journey goes well and Gita doesn't impede things.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, sounds like a wonderful trip except for the cyclone Gita. I am glad the ferry ride was calm. I hope you will be able to finish your drive. The boots will be nice since they are waterproof. Have a safe and fun trip!

Our photos said...

It is a pity the cyclone is ruining your holidays. Hope it will better soon (after rain comes sunshine, we say in Holland) !

Carol Mattingly said...

I hope your trip is delayed any more. Can't wait to see all of the great picks. I'll be watching. Stay away from that hurricane. Carol

Jenny said...

Travel safe Jean, have a great South Island trip.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

It is good that you can curl up and sleep calmly! Your trip sounds wonderful.........except when there is a storm! The boots will probably prove to be very handy on your journey.
Keep having fun and stay safe!

Fundy Blue said...

I'm loving all your maps of your travels, Jean, and I hope that you have a wonderful time on your travels. I was surprised to learn that the crossing between the North and South islands takes three hours. That's about half the time it takes to go from Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia to Port-aux-Basques, Newfoundland! It puts size in perspective for me. I hope you're safe in the gale.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love to travel virtually!
We're going out west in June to see a new baby. We shall see what happens!