Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Saturday 7 January 2012

Flowers,Sadness and Reunions

Jacaranda blossom at  St Heliers,  Hibiscus flowers,
a large Agave plant, and Hydrangeas from a friend.

Jacaranda blossomHibiscus shades
Agave plant

Red hibiscusFlowers from a friend

Hugh and I have been to Auckland for a friend’s funeral, and that morning we went for a walk to St Heliers Beach.
On the way these colours shone some brightness on the sad day.
Ken left his home to go  Purewa Crematorium with  members from the Porsche Car Club following, a fitting tribute . Each one polished and shone to perfection.
last of the carsPorsche carsmore cars again



Ken was  very involved in the McLaren Trust,  that administers the legacy started in honour of racing driver Bruce McLaren.
The McLaren M6 road car was there in the shade, much admired, and shining in the sun.
We met friends we had not seen for many years, from our Papakura days, one from Pukekohe High School, and those whose parents had been great friends with our parents also.
    
I needed other transport back  to where we stayed with our friend, ,  and  was given a truly wonderful  ride in the 911 Porsche.Then, joy of joys, I was
asked would I like to have my photo taken, and would it be better if I sat in the driver’s seat? Yes Please!!!
The Porsche 911 just purred along, 0-100 kms in 4.8 seconds, we cruised along Tamaki Drive, up some other streets, a short spin around the waterfront again, and up the hill of Long Drive. I felt very special to be given this  interlude , which helped to move some of the sadness from  our hearts . 2011, two farewells for each of us. 
 Thank you so very much, Damien .
look at that nameI sat in the driver's seat

Friday morning ,and we made our way home,stopping for coffee at a roadside spot,overlooking the Manawatu area.
The tall tree stood out in the late afternoon sky. The Manawatu landscape
showed through the gaps in the hedges, and the berries shone , clear white before
they turn to red.
last photo on the way homehazy view over the Manawatuhedge berries

Quotation of the day, from Shakespeare,  “ Macbeth, act 4”
“ Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak
Whispers the o’er-fraught heart, and bids it break”
Cheers from Jean

6 comments:

June said...

Another so very apt quotation and lovely photos, thank you for sharing with us.

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

What a fitting farewell. Love those cars!
Linda

Dream Valley Ranch said...

What a sad year 2011 was for you and Hugh...my heart goes out to you. I hope you found some peace and solace saying goodbye-there simply are no words to ease how difficult this is.
Sending lots of hugs,
Sue

Nancy J said...

Thanks so much June,Linda and Sue,yes a sad year,but after yesterday's tragedy at Carterton, we have so much to be thankful for.My caring thoughts go to all those other families whose grief and sorrow is so much greater than I can ever imagine.And for us who have had sorrow, specially in 2011, we share in grief and memories, and your words help so much. From Jean

HG's Blog said...

Lovely photos.....excellent send off for your dear friend. I do think that the porsche 911 suits you. Helen

Nancy J said...

Helen, I just sat there for the "Photo Shoot" . By that time the heels on my expensive KUMF shoes had disintegrated, luckily after the service and the cup of tea. I finished the day at Purewa in barefeet!! Not a good look for a lady of my dignified age .So I tucked my barefeet away under the seat, and enjoyed every minute of my chauffered drive.Cheers from Jean