Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Thursday 23 October 2014

A Fable by Aesop

 

The Ant and the Grasshopper

IN a field one summer’s day a Grasshopper was hopping about, chirping and singing to its heart’s content.

The grasshopper

An Ant passed by, bearing along with great toil an ear of corn he was taking to the nest.

The grasshopper

  “Why not come and chat with me,” said the Grasshopper, “instead of toiling and moiling in that way?”

  “I am helping to lay up food for the winter,” said the Ant, “and recommend you to do the same.”

The ant toils as the grasshopper laughs

  “Why bother about winter?” said the Grasshopper; “we have got plenty of food at present.”

But the Ant went on its way and continued its toil.

 

The ant toiling again #3  cropped

 

The ant  toiling more

 

When the winter came the Grasshopper found itself dying of hunger, while it saw the ants distributing, every day, corn and grain from the stores they had collected in the summer.

Winter arrived for the grasshopper

Then the Grasshopper knew:

“It is best to prepare for the days of necessity”

 

I had  decided I would post this today, after Jim’s lovely words  on my post yesterday, referring to our wonderful heap of firewood, yesterday, then  the  news of the tragedy in Ottawa came on our TV early this morning.  Would I,  or not, a huge hesitation in my heart.

I read Ron’s words with tears.

  All  thoughts of a post with lovely illustrations,  delightful  words, and more, ( all courtesy of the Internet) flew out the window. Then I  realised  that we can send sympathy, caring thoughts, love and support, even if our blog  words do not seem to show that. To you all in Canada, we care, so very much,  and share in your loss today.

Quotation of the day, by Pierre Trudeau

“  Our hopes are high. Our faith in the people is great.

Our courage is strong.

And our dreams for this beautiful country

will never die” 

Greetings from Jean

12 comments:

Linda said...

Jean, thank you so much for this post, it is just what I needed today. Just a couple of days ago right here near Montreal, a soldier was run down, and now another soldier was killed today in Ottawa at Parliament. I posted about it on my Facebook page and I know many people are praying for everyone here.

Your friendship and prayers mean a great deal to me, and I know to my fellow Canadians as well. A huge thank you. God bless you.

Inger said...

What beautiful and caring thoughts for our Canadian friends.

Leeanne said...

Kind words and thoughts. I remember that story of the ant and Cricket, a wise wee ant!

eileeninmd said...

Jean, what a lovely post..Yes, my prayers go out to our Canadian friends..

TexWisGirl said...

it was a senseless tragedy.

but i enjoyed the parable, too.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

How wonderful! This was one of my children's favorite stories! Love your quote of the day!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

This was such a cowardly act- it just breaks my heart.
I love this story..I haven't seen it in a long time. Thanks for sharing.

Janet said...

Thanks Jean. A very sad time for Canadians right now. Among the sadness and tears we need laughter and beauty to lift our hearts. This is always true.

Barb said...

Aesop was very intuitive - and so are you, Jean. Your posts always reflect hope and caring.

Jenn Jilks said...

We so appreciate your words and thoughts.
The victim was an amazing man. The man another nut mowed down Monday was, similarly a good man.
The perps were sick, mentally unstable, blaming the world for their mental health issues. The latter one was doing $160/day in heroin. He chose suicide my cop, really.

Jim said...

Jean, thank you so much and your response is warm and helpful to us. Last week was a trying week for us all in Canada.
I feel privileged and honoured that you chose to post this fable. It was beautifully done, Jean. You are a sweetheart indeed.

fromsophiesview said...

Thanking you really isn't enough Jean!!

Our country has had upsets, fear-monkering and much more over the years as depicted by journalists since last week. However we have not worried since 911 and when an unarmed person is shot point blank and another run over it just send shivers down my spine.
The funeral for the NAthan Cirillo was today and so many turned out in his home city and as well small towns taking the time to show support and grieve.
The terror of certain groups that infiltrate in this new online way is so scary because it can happen anywhere and at anytime. Vigilance and pride ~ that's some of what we are displaying now.
As some one said the other day Canada has helped so many countries for decades and now we need support.
You are so sweet to do this post and I hope you and Hugh are having an extra special beautiful spring.
Cheers!
Ron