Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Monday 27 October 2014

For Frankie That and for me, a first time event.

 

I grew up on a dairy farm, and saw calves born, cows die, chickens hatch, roosters strut and crow, groom special calves for the then-called Calf Club Days, but we had one horse, for me to ride to primary school.  The only other horse I might have seen would have been the Clydesdale Teams, at the Franklin A & P  Show, at Pukekohe.

Yesterday a friend phoned, and said would we like to visit? Yes please.

I drove, to the farm down the track, and we walked to the far paddock.

Frankie That , the proud Mum, and her foal,  exactly 12 hours old, born at 3 a.m. All went well, a 10 minute labour, after a few days of showing signs of imminent birth. A Bay girl, beautiful, legs, ears and tail ,and one white hoof, all in perfect order, just  what any new Mum would wish for,Frankie is 14, her first foal, she was very protective.

Without further ado, here are the photos, for me, maybe the best experience of my photography days . Please click on each photo for more details.

Ann has asked for some name suggestions, I will pass them all on to her.

Frankie That and foal #2

Frankie That and her foal, beautiful Bay

Frankie That #1

Frankie That and her new foal,October 26th,2014

Ann, Frankie That, and foal

Frankie That  and  her  foal #6Frankie That and foal, look at those legs

Here is Bella, just over one year old, so friendly, nuzzled up to each of us in turn, and a close-up was so close it was way too blurry.

Bella

straight from the Horse's Eye

Quotation of the day, an Arabian Proverb

“The wind of heaven is that

which blows between a horse's ears.” 


Greetings from Jean

15 comments:

Leeanne said...

Oh wonderful! Years ago I was lucky enough to witness a foal being born, it was one very special experience.

eileeninmd said...

Oh wow, I could not pass up a visit there either. The New Mum and her foal are so pretty. I just love the cute foal with the star on her forehead.. Awesome shots. Have a happy day and week ahead!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

How exciting and what wonderful photos!

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Georgia said...

My goodness, what long legs! Glad for you to have this experience.

The Furry Gnome said...

Beautiful foal and colt!

TexWisGirl said...

sweet long-legged beauties!

Allie said...

What an experience - and what LOVELY horses. I especially love the close-up, great shot!

Leanne said...

Welcome to the world little foal. Great photos Jean.

Carol Mattingly said...

Beautiful and so new to this world. Perhaps Frankie's ?Little fir a name. Carol

Jenn Jilks said...

Beautiful photos and such a lovely post. Thank you for your kind words up here in the north!

Jim said...

Jean!! THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL!!
What an opportunity to photograph this mother and daughter. Nicle done.

Barb said...

She looks like a Twiggy to me and the spitting image of Mom. Awwww.

KB said...

She does look just like her Mom!!! But, for some reason the name "Phantom" kept dancing through my head as I looked at her in your wonderful photographs!

What an amazing experience to see a foal so young. I never have, except in your photos!

Hannah said...

What beautiful horses. That must be quite a delivery with such a big baby. I guess the names that flash into my head tend to relate to the white flash on her forehead, rather cliched.

Karen said...

Oh Jean, what gorgeous photos of mom and baby!