Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Monday 31 August 2015

Fabric, Ducks, and a CAT scan

 

Saturday was a day out, 142 km, or 88 miles, from our place to Masterton, in the Wairarapa. ( And then the same as we came home, a long way to drive for a metre of fabric!!) There is a super quilting fabric shop there, ( Click on the link to find them)

visit them here at  Quilter's Lane, Masterton

I wanted the border fabrics for the Wiggle-Me Quilt. I was so lucky, found the perfect choices, then we had lunch by the small man made lake, Ducks, Coots, paddle boats for hire, the occasional policeman and police-lady wandering past.

I think the first photo is of an Australian Coot, black with white face , and the  pair are Mallard Ducks. A White Swan, aka paddle boat, the Jolly Roger, and various other craft, as children with parents valiantly paddled their way across the water.

Maybe an Australian Coot

 

Two ducks up close

 

Paddle boats for hire

I have a variegated blue for the first border, a lighter one for the second border, and a dark blue with green tones for the final one, This will make it the right size for our bed. Hugh said this one  was for us,   when he first saw the top in an unfinished state!!!

Border fabrics for Wiggle me quilt

Wiggle me border fabrics with Felicity

And  a fitting  finish for today, a Felicity Cat Scan is the right way to make sure all fabric is correct!!!

Quotation of the day,  from Henry Ward Beecher

“ It’s easier to go down a hill  than up , but the view is much better at the top”

Greetings from Jean

25 comments:

Linda said...

Jean, your duck photos are so beautiful and soothing, and I love the cat scan. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Jenny said...

The lake in Masterton is a beautiful place to stop and relax. And the bird life is amazing. WE often stop there with the caravan for lunch if we are travelling by.

Love your fabric choices - it's always nice to have a new quilt for your own bed, so that you can ring the changes.

Susan Heather said...

You had me worried with the CAT scan - I should have realised. Sounds like a pleasant day out.

Sue said...

We have Coots in our lake. Always wondered what they were and now thanks to you I know, so THANKS!! Did you go for a paddle in one of the boats? I would take the swan shaped one for a spin, it looks like fun. Nice fabric and so glad the cat gave it's approval.

Leeanne said...

That makes for an expensive piece of fabric! But what a lovely time out.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Jean ~ You and Hugh had a nice day out, got some lovely photos of ducks and some beautiful fabrics. Like Hugh, I would lay claim to this quilt also. It is wonderful!

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Out To Pasture said...

What a nice day out you had. I notice the trees behind the paddle boat rental building have no leaves. Is this typical for your season?
Sweet cat scan!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jean, nice sightings of the coot and ducks. And the Swan paddle boat is a neat attraction for the kiddies. The fabrics are beautiful, I like the patterns and colors. And your version of a Cat scan is much nicer than what I was thinking. Have a happy day and new week ahead!

Kate said...

I am glad Felicity approves. Sounds like a lovely day, made better with a visit to the quilt shop.

Georgia said...

Whew, you had me worried with that title! Great day lovely lake, lovely fabrics, and Felicity's Meow of Approval!

Julie Fukuda said...

The coot and duck plus swan boat pictures could have been taken in a Tokyo pond.. I'm glad after going all that way, you could find what you were looking for

The Furry Gnome said...

You went all that wY and only bought one metre of fabric!

TexWisGirl said...

your cat scan made me smile! :)

My Grama's Soul said...

Hi Nancy.....found you over at Lorraine's. I had no idea it snowed in New Zeland LOL LOL. We were there several years and it was so very green and lush and a little warm I might add....loved the area though.

glad I found you.

xo

Jo

Carol Mattingly said...

What a beautiful place for an outing. Love those duck images. That little gray cat reminds me of a stray gray cat we have here at my apartments. I wished I weren't so deathly allergic to cats. I love them. Carol

Barb said...

Love that title and was relieved to see the "cat scan!" Your quilt is beautiful.

NCSue said...

Nice photos here. I love your CAT scan, by the way.
I hope you'll come link up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/08/strange-visitors-in-garden.html

Hannah said...

You had us all going with the Cat Scan. I'm glad Felicity approved. The quilt is so lovely, I can see why Hugh doesn't want it to get away. It's great that you are almost to spring, how wonderful. We are looking autumn in the eye but after the long hot dry summer perhaps it will be more welcome this year. The trip to the fabric store sounds like a fun outing, lovely fabrics, and I enjoy seeing coots.

KB said...

You had me worried with the "CAT scan" - I'm glad it was a Felicity Scan! Your fabrics have such deep and rich colors. Beautiful.

Jenn Jilks said...

You two must be feeling so much better! I'm so happy for you both. I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt. I've never done one. I should start on those skirts I promised our girls! Happy trails, so good to see your posts!!! xx

Allie-oops Designs said...

I've never seen a coot - how pretty! Sounds like the perfect day, especially finding the perfect fabric! I don't blame Hugh for not wanting that quilt to get away, lol....so pretty, and Felicity-approved!

Our photos said...

Very nice !

Jim said...

Jean, THAT is going to be one fabulous looking quilt! Hugh knows a good thing when he sees it!
I was in the local community hall yesterday on 'shop' business and came upon a half dozen ladies with their quilts. Tuesdays are their 'quilt day' they told me. And....they invited me to join them! i am tempted as I love to 'work with my hands' and am pretty sure I could handle what would be necessary. We will see. It's going to be a LONG winter.

Tanya said...

Greetings to Felicity! Your quilt is going to be beautiful!

Fundy Blue said...

Hey, Jean! I love the three fabrics you chose for the border of your quilt. What a cool way to make a quilt fit your bed! Do you have another new cat? Felicity looks like a kitten? Have a lovely day!