Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Monday 1 August 2016

Just to show we do have snow down here

 

A few photos from earlier years, and some from this week. Not all at our place or nearby, but around New Zealand.

I begin with the snowfall at our home in August 2011. Magical!!!

Our home with snow,August 2011

July 2011, Josh and myself near the Central Plateau.

Josh and  Jean, July 2004

Mt Tongariro, July 2014.

Mt Tongariro  26th July 2014

Some fun with snowmen,  May 2013, This is down south.

irish snowmen on the farm May 2013

August, 2011, Takapari Road, in the Ruahine Range.I think this is where the quad bike turned round and came back home!!!

Snow on Takapari Road August 2011

May, 2013, on the farm south of Dunedin

Snow south of Dunedin

Last week, also on the farm, a table full of snow.

Table top cover, July 2016

July, 2008,  at Mt Ruapehu, near the Turoa Ski field.

Jean & Hugh at the Mountain July 2008

The recent cold snap has brought welcome snow to the ski fields,  a blizzard  yesterday closed  Mt Ruapehu and left many trapped  with  their cars, not able to drive back down. An avalanche down south, at Treble Cone, near Wanaka,  triggered by 4 skiers who went into an out of bounds  area .

Quotation of the day,  author unknown

“ Kindness is like snow;

It beautifies everything it covers”

Greetings from Jean

20 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

those stranded are never good! but i enjoyed the snow scenes from hot and dry texas! we're consistently hitting 100F most days now...

Kate said...

Lucky for us, the snow is a few months away. It will be here soon enough. It's fun to see a place where snow is a novelty.

Allie-oops Designs said...

*shiver* I'm enjoying high summer here - not looking forward to the snow at all! It seems to last so much longer than the green season.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

I somehow don't imagine New Zealand with snow, but the proof is in the pictures! Could be a winter scene from my native Nebraska. Since it's supposed to be getting hot again here tomorrow some of the coolness that goes with that snow would be nice.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Your photos are truly "refreshing" as we have this sweltering heat. But it's still hard for me to get my head around your corner of the world having winter right now! :-)

Leeanne said...

Snow, snow.....glorious snow! I hope those snowmen are old enough to 'hold' there drink!!

Julie Fukuda said...

Just what I need to see while sitting in my sauna home!

KB said...

Ah Snow! It is nice to get an occasional coating of snow, isn't it? Happy Winter to you. Beautiful photos.

Susan Heather said...

I love the quote. If a snowflake is seen on the hills around here it is major headlines in the local paper.

Mystic Quilter said...

Smashing snow themed photos Jean - all we could manage up here has been rain, rain and more rain with a bit of hail!! Actually we have some cold but sunny days thrown in!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, pretty snowy images. I hope the people trapped are safe. The quote is wonderful! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

Carol Mattingly said...

Jean if you only knew just how soothing it is to see snow and cold when the heat here is blistering. Fantastic. I had no idea what kind of winters you had there, but obviously it's very much like ours in the States. Stay warm. Carol

Jenn Jilks said...

It is so hard to remember, and not be egocentric, that other people in other parts of the world have such different experiences!!! Cheers from sunny Perth!

Our photos said...

I'm glad summer is still here. I really do not like winter time !

Karen said...

I love snow. Terrific photos! I can't for winter to come. This summer heat has darn near killed me. It's too hot for Canada!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

How inviting that snow looks to me.......in 100 degree weather! Love your photos.....stay warm and safe!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I like that quote! Thank you for the COOL shots today..because I know we are facing another heat wave this week. Ugh!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

So you do get snow!! I couldn't imagine there would be enough for an avalanche which cause lots of problems here out west in the British Columbia mountains every year. Meanwhile we have been having heat wave after heat wave...feels like plus 40's most days which as you know are too hot for us to handle.
Don't go driving in snowy conditions...never thought I'd have to write that to you. LOL

Jim said...

I LOVE snow! Living in Canada one adapts and appreciates it.....mostly.
Your photos are magnificent, Jean.

Fundy Blue said...

Trapped in cars is no fun! I hope everyone survived the storm. I love snow, so I enjoyed these photos!