Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Wednesday 22 March 2017

Serious Design Faults and Pretty Pictures

 

The kitchen trolley might  be  good for the kitchen, but when it comes to having a 12 inch rotation cutting board on it,, or the ironing protective mat, there are faults galore. Too narrow, too short, handles get in the way, and even  with the legs adjusted to the full height, too short!!! 

But it can fit in the “ Laundry Day” quilt,  this is as far as I have managed this weekend. The grass needs some embellishment, a small shrub at the right hand side, where the pathway didn’t angle out, and the wonky  chimney needs reinforcing after the earthquake. Likewise the roof will have huge  “ Galvanised Nu-Fix roofing nails” ( Bernina pattern # 162)  to keep it firm again. And the clothesline rope arrived, from the LQS.!!! There had been flooding and liquefaction as well,  that  is the blue wavy lines on the road!!

Laundry Day  quilt

And before I went to have some pretty photos taken with the MRI scanner, the local quilt shop had a necessary visit. Some lovely golden yellows, a few more greens, and two swirly paler batiks, just in case I want to change the background again in the ‘Freefall quilt along” which you can see right here at this link,

mmm! quilts with Sandra

After all, every girl needs to have choices.

New batiks in March 2017

The ladies at Radiology were so kind, caring, and made sure I was as comfortable as I could be, my legs  were both  supported by a cradle? and the right one had another on top, probably with coils  in it. Ear plugs, and headphones, as they talked to me all the way along. And a squeezy hand piece, in case I needed help!!! Lots of noises, a bit like an orchestra tuning up.The only really uncomfortable part was the weighted bag below my knee to keep that leg steady, but a body wriggle as they suggested helped.

Photo courtesy of the internet,  I could not take my crutches inside,  but a lovely lady either side gave all the support needed, and  I thankfully answered all the questions with NO,  for Bullets, shrapnel, body piercings, eyelid springs??? metal anywhere, and more… and then came the height measurement. I have shrunk from my earlier days!!! At least 1.25  inches!!! Horror.

MRI knee coil

Next week I will get the results and find the answers.

Our son-in-law’s Dad passed away on Sunday morning , at home,  after a long illness. Russell Brown was a wonderful man, so respected and admired  in the Otago community and will be so sadly missed by Ann, their family, grandies, friends and relations. His farewell is tomorrow, and we will be there in our thoughts.Our love to them all , and specially to Ralph and Kaz.

Quotation of the day, as I  remember ,and say goodbye to Russell .

Godspeed, dear friend.

 

A limb has fallen from the family tree, that says,

Grieve not for me,

Remember the best times, the laughter, the song,

The good life I lived while  I was strong.

 

Greetings from Jean.

22 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I can remember once visiting one of those machines. I think it was for rive herniated discs. Any way, it will be good to get the results and hopefully treatment that will fix you up.
Those fabrics sure are pretty. I'm glad they are not around here tempting me!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

I love Quilters Laundry day. I like how you graduated the sky and that looks like a detachable quilt so you can ring the changes, with I'd done that on mine. Good luck with your results, sounds like your family has a lot going on.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Good morning dear Jean ~ Good to read a post from you. Your little quilted piece is cute. Love those green and yellow fabrics also.

Glad you had kind help during your MRI.

Sorry about the loss of your son-in-law's Dad.

Love, hugs & prayers for you and your family ~ FlowerLady

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your quilt looks beautiful. I hope the results from your test are not too and can be easily fixed. I will keep you in my prayers. So sorry for the loss of your SIL's father. Pretty poem!

Jane said...

Love the story about your earthquake wrecked house patchwork block, Jean. Lot of thought went into it. Hope the MRI helps the doctors figure out what's going on with your knee. Sorry to read of your lost.

Hugs
Jane

Kate said...

The laundry day block is coming nicely. I can't wait to see more.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Hope the MRI shows what needs to be done to get you fixed right up. Those machines look so claustrophobic and I just know once they got me in there and I was supposed to lie perfectly still, my nose would start itching. LOL Or I would sneeze at the worst possible moment.

Nancy J said...

Thank you all for lovely caring comments. Just for interest, I looked up "eyelid springs", It seems these are real, and are inserted to remedy facial paralysis. I thought they might be for a purely cosmetic look, but are a definite advantage to anyone who has had surgery that left them with partial paralysis, or have had Bells Palsy. So there we have the latest news!!! Having a very slow day, after that weighted bag on my leg for a good while left it very painful.

Barb said...

Hi Jean, I thought it was about time for your MRI. Now to await the results... Looks like you're still busy being creative. More snow due here this week after several weeks of "spring-like" temps. We need the moisture, but I can't say I haven't enjoyed the sunshine and the melting snow.

Jen said...

I love the little story with your "Quilter's Laundry Day"! It is looking fantastic. Sending good thoughts your way for your leg and your loss.

Jenny said...

Hopefully your MRI results will pinpoint the damage to your legs and then treatment can begin to get you up and mobile again.
I have had a couple of MRIs with another one coming up, I have just been told. Some people get really freaked out by the small space and all the noise - not me luckily. I just lay there quietly while all the clicks and bangs happen all around me.
Condolences on the loss of another family friend.

Our photos said...

Well, that is quite the story about the MRI scan. I hope the outcome is positive !

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice quote. It's how we feel about William.

Jenn Jilks said...

You're such a good woman. We've been through this. No fun. We ahve another in the near future.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your little house has been through a lot but is still standing! You really have a gift for choosing just the right fabric. Thanks for sharing your MRI experience; I'm slightly claustrophobic and fear the idea of the MRI. But maybe it's not that bad. Fingers crossed you hear good news. Nothing like fabric shopping to soothe and calm.

Jim said...

Hello Jean!
I am beginning to understand 'quilting language'....I think!? I like the 'earthquake' look!
Sorry for your family's loss and what a wonderful quote at the end.

Good to hear that all went well for your MRI. Now for step 2 in this procedure.

We have had a dusting of snow for the past two nights....here we call that 'the farmers fertilizer'. We have early Snowdrops coming up.....brave little souls they are!!
Have a wonderful weekend, Jean.

KB said...

You made me giggle with the earthquake comment! I like that quilt. It is coming along wonderfully.

I'm glad that your MRI went smoothly. I've had at least a dozen of those in my life but, in my case, my head always has to be in that big machine. I don't like it! I'm glad that your head could be outside it.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your son-in-law's father. I send my sympathy to you and your whole family.

Lots of love to you.

Lori Skoog said...

Where have I been, not to know about your knee! You are always so kind, sending comments to so many of us around the world and I have not even asked how you are doing! I know all about that knee stuff. First I had a medial meniscus tear and about 10 years later, a full knee replacement. Still very active and you will be too! Looks like you were busy cleaning your fence, Hugh had a birthday and you are quilting like mad! I really appreciate all of your comments on my Journal. Stay well please!!!

Sharon - IN said...

Cute quilt block! I hope you get good results from the MRI.

baili said...

oh dear sounds lot to do .
hope all get done properly on time and you take your time to relax.
here in our area quilting is quite a time pass for ladies particularly in rural sides.
best wishes friend for your all lovely ventures.
How beautifully you ended the post.
Marvelous optimism

Cheryl said...

Beautiful laundry day quilt. I hope you get the MRI results back soon and they get you fixed up quickly.

Lisa England said...

You and I must read many of the same blogs because I often see that you have left comments. They are always such sweet, kind, and encouraging comments! Reading them made me want to know more about such a lovely person, so I went in search of your blog and signed up to follow. I read a handful of your previous posts and look forward to seeing what you are up to in the future. Your projects and photos are very pretty, your writing is fun to read, and I like your inspirational quotes. Glad to have "found" you!