Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Tuesday 12 September 2017

Home Again, Home again, Jiggity-Jig!!!!

I have borrowed those words from Jenn in Canada, as Jenn, you so often use these after a hospital visit, I thought they were very suitable for  our last few  weeks down here!!!

The weeks since my last post have been action packed, if you can interpret that to be “ Filled with Hospital visits, trips by ambulance, and more”.

Hugh’s shoulder is improving slowly, he can dress himself, almost drive, manage to sit on the ride on mower, and a little more. However through this, he had severe pain in his right knee,  not able to walk, so once more off in the green and gold chariot, aka Ambulance. Blood test, X-Ray, possible fracture NO, possible gout? Maybe, overnight stay and home the next day.

Front lawn area

Now, all mowers need petrol!!! The lawn needed mowing,  The 20 litre can  was filled at the garage, they lifted it into the wagon, and when we arrived home I had to help Hugh lift it onto the back tray on the quad bike!!! This is so he can take it to the other shed past the driveway. That was something we had done together dozens of times, but previously when his right arm was good!!! My ribs ached afterwards, the next day, so painful. The following Friday, my turn to get carried off on a stretcher,  then an  X-Ray, maybe a fractured rib, NO, maybe a chest wall muscle sprain? Not sure. Home with a whole heap of medication. Lots of explanations to the OT lady and the Social worker about how this was absolutely necessary. One of them suggested we leave the lawn until it was SO high, indicating with her hands at least 10 to 12 inches. Well, we would then make hay.I am guessing she has no idea at all about how large a 3 acre area is.

Then Sunday, the pain escalated into “ where is it on a scale of 1 to 10?” Off the scale, so back to hospital again. More pain meds, an overnight stay, and home to take life very slowly and carefully. The Dr said maybe 4 to 6 weeks for it to heal.

Through all of this, I keep thinking of Irma, my friend in Florida , how her barn cats are managing, and all those in Texas and other states nearby.Stay safe are the usual words, but they seem so insignificant right now.

Before this I had managed to finish Blocks #3 and #4 for the QAL. They are bright and so Christmassy!!!

Santa’s Belt,  there are so many lovely blocks, on the Facebook group page.  with belts, buckles, and a fat tummy as well.

Christmas Block #3

Then Christmas Decorations, again all the group members have made this in their own so special way. Each one a delight to see. The green is sparkly and glittery, as a Christmas tree would be.

Christmas Block #4

Meantime, before all this, I was in a quilt fabric shop,  looking, as we do, and found this panel of elephants.It just  hopped into my hands!!! Not the best photos, it is just too hard to  find a good place with plenty of light.

panel of elephants

Elephant #2My favourite Elephant

Then I found this on the net, and have seen it before.It, too, just landed in my patterns. Paper pieced, not my favourite way to do it, but I might try with freezer paper instead.

Elephant and I pattern photoElephant & I cropped

This will have to wait till all things are back to normal,  for now  I can look and dream.

Quotation of the day. author unknown

“ Always  fall asleep with a dream

and wake up with a purpose.”

Greetings from Jean.

23 comments:

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

You and your husband have certainly been having a time of it. Hope you're both on the mend now. It may be time to hire out the mowing of all that grass or maybe just mow a smaller section around the house and let the rest go. Boy, aging is not for sissies, is it?

Eggs In My Pocket said...

So very sorry to hear about your husband's fall and for what you are also going through. I hope you both will soon feel much better without pain! Mowing is always a chore.......I love the elephants! So very pretty!
I also love your header......such a pretty view!

Kate said...

I love those elephants. My mother was a big fan of elephants, and I now have some of her collection.

Susan Heather said...

Oh dear - I do hope both you and Hugh are on the mend. You are certainly making full use of those "golden chariots'

Mystic Quilter said...

Now your very own saga has happened nice we spoke Jean - I will give you a call tomorrow.

Julie Fukuda said...

What is this? A competition to see which one has the most trips to the hospital? Time to take it easy!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, sending my get well wishes for both you and your hubby. I hope you both follow doctors orders and take it easy. I love the elephants, what a pretty fabric. It might be a good idea to have someone else take care of cutting the grass. I hope you both feel better soon. Have a great week!

The Furry Gnome said...

Oh Jean, so sorry to hear all this. It's bad enough when one of us is having issues! Hope your recovery goes well. And stop mowing all that lawn! A natural meadow is really interesting you know. I completely understand the country property thing though - we move away from ours in 5 weeks now.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, that is a lot to deal with! I've been wondering where you have been. So sorry that all this is going on with you. I think you are right, the medical people have no idea what it is like to deal with acreage. Take care of yourself, and I hope your husband heals quickly.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I am so sorry to hear that you are also having to contend with not feeling well yourself now, too! Take care, both of you, and lots of love and healing thoughts headed your way.

Carol Mattingly said...

Oh Jean you and Hugh have been through it. I can honestly say the things I can't do the same anymore as I am now in my 60's well the list of those things goes on and on. Our muscles, our bones, they aren't bouncing back like they used to. I love the elephant pattern. Absolutely love it. Try it and let us see how it goes. Carol

Karen said...

Oh gosh, I sure hope you two are on the mend. Might be time to get some help with that lawn!

I love the elephant squares. Funny how things hop into you hands isn't it!? That always happens to me at the art supply store as well.

Take care, and take it easy.

Tish Stemple said...

Jean, I'm beginning to think we might need to put you and Hugh into a big bubble. I'm glad to hear that you both are on the mend. I hope you can take it easy and heal quickly. Your Christmas blocks are looking awesome! I love how the bells pop off the green fabric. Glad that elephant panel "hopped" into your hands :) They are beautiful.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dearest Jean ~ I am so sorry for all that you and Hugh have been going through, but so glad you are both on the mend. The older we get, we have to take things easier. We just aren't as young as we think we are.

Those elephants are great! Your Christmas blocks are pretty and before we know it, Christmas will be here.

Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

Jim said...

Thinking of you both, Jean! What a miserable few weeks you both have had.
Love the quote! Keep dreaming and maybe you will be surprised how fast the time will pass.....then you can finish your quilting.
Now please take it easy!!

Jenn Jilks said...

My dear, dear friend, you must take it easy!
I hope you both continue your upward trajectory!
Lots of love from away!

Our photos said...

I am amazed how you managed making the blocks between all of the hosptal stays and doctor visits ! Impressive !!!

KB said...

You've been through so much. Please take good care of yourself... we all care about you!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I am caught up on your posts, Jean, and they involved too many ambulance rides for the both of you! My goodness...all the healing that has to take place under your roof right about now! Jeepers, hope it is going well and you are able to muster the resources to help each other out as needs must.
Meanwhile I am following the Merrily project and am tempted. Your blocks are wonderful of course. And those elephant panels are amazing. I too am intrigued by elephants and have a colouring page of one that would work so well for embroidering...somewhere on a wish list.
We are having a late warm spell but overnight temps will dip down this week so merino and concrete pills will be in my forecast pretty soon (I'd never heard that expression...very good one!).
Hang in there!

Fundy Blue said...

I am so sorry to read this post, Jean! You and Hugh have been through way too much recently! Is there someone else who can mow the lawn for you until you both get back on your feet? It's so difficult at times to "give in" and let someone else do something you've always done. I agree with your friend Jean above ~ You need to take it easy, you and Hugh both. Sending you love and hugs and wishes for a full recovery! Take care ~ You need to heal!

Janet said...

So happy to see you back Jean! I hope that you will HIRE someone to make the hay for you. Or at least to help Hugh make the hay as I am sure he doesn't want to give it up. I love elephants too. Have one that I have been working on - well not really working on because it has been sitting waiting for me to get back to it. I should pull it out!

Lori Skoog said...

You two had better behave yourselves! I love the fabric with the elephants!!!!!

Sandra Walker said...

I've loved Jennifer's pattern since I first saw it! Oh dear, Jean, not good at all to have a sprain. I may happen to know how you feel since I tore a muscle in my calf Monday night, and can't even walk the dogs. Ice, a hot stone massage yesterday, aspirin, rest. AGH! But I can hobble back and forth to the cutting mat, pressing area, sewing machine, so it hasn't curbed that part of my life! I love the elephant panel, totally get how it trumpeted into your hands. Your acreage is beautiful, so green, reminds me of ours out West in Alberta. I just snort-laughed when you described how they said to let the grass grow so high! Yep, they've obviously not had to cut acres before. Hope you mend very quickly and that the green and gold chariot will stay the heck away! Love your Christmas blocks, just beautiful!