Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Heat Wave!! Heat Wave!!

 

We have had days of temperatures over 30 Celsius, too hot to be outside,  every window,and door is open, hoping for the slightest breeze to cool things down. A while ago I must have answered a home survey,  about home heating.Well, we have 2 wood fires, solar panels for hot water, and a chip heater also for hot water. It seems that I also entered “ Do you have air conditioning?”,…NO… So the lady  phoned, and asked how we cooled our home, I replied, open the doors and windows.Well, she said, their agent was in our area and she  would like him to call and give us all the details of their products that would cool our home.She felt this would be most beneficial.

I replied, “ my husband is seriously ill and we are not having any visitors at all right now”( Maybe a slight exaggeration, but the last words were correct)

She replied “ Tomorrow our agent is in your area and I would like to make an appointment”

NOW.. normally I am so polite,  considerate, compromising,and do not reply with strong words, but  would have just said  thank you,maybe another time, I was so angry that she didn’t listen, I said

“Didn’t you hear what I just said? My husband is seriously ill, we are not having any visitors, and I do not want your agent to call”

She replied , “Would you like me to make an appointment for another time”

NO THANK YOU, and please do not phone me again.

Joyce and Hugh laughed in the background, as this is so out of character for me!!! The agent for HRV did not call.

I needed to think of something cool/cold/ freezing, so the new header photo reminds me of our beautiful mountains and their winter snow.

This temperature was on Sunday 25th, ice cream blocks and cold drinks all round.

Temperature guage 33.3C  Jan 25th 2015

Our TV news is showing photos of the massive snow storm that will affect millions of people, disrupt air travel, close roads, schools, shops, businesses, and travel through at least  7  states in the North-East of US .

By the time many of you read this, conditions may have changed.

I hope you all stay safe, and keep warm

=====================================

Details below, courtesy of the Internet.

Forecasters say Winter Storm Juno could dump up to 76cm (30ins) in some parts of New Jersey, Maine and New Hampshire.

All non-emergency vehicles were banned in New York City from 23:00 on Monday (04:00 GMT Tuesday) and subway services were suspended. Similar measures were in place in Boston, Massachusetts.

Some 60 million people may be affected.

An emergency has been declared in the states of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Over 6,500 flights have been cancelled

=======================================

Down here in NZ,  remember we have a total land area about the same size  as Colorado, and a population of 4.47 million ( 3013 data), this is so hard to imagine.I dream of snow falling on our lawn, but realise the fairy wonderland in my mind can be a harsh reality when it happens like “Juno” right now.

Quotation of the day, author unknown

“Politeness is the art of choosing your words carefully before you speak”

Greetings from Jean

17 comments:

Susan Heather said...

It is amazing that these sales people just don't listen. They just have the spiel that they have to get out.

Missed tonight's news as we went to see The Imitation Game. That weather sounds really nasty in the U.S.

32 degrees is the hottest I have had so far and that was far too hot for me. A bit cooler tonight so perhaps we will get some of the showers that they have been forecasting for a while.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jean, some salespeople are so pushy. It is hard to keep your cool and be polite.. we were lucky to have most of this Atlantic Coast snowstorm miss us.. Only a few inches of snow since yesterday.. I love the quote and post. Have a happy day and week ahead!

The Furry Gnome said...

That's a stunning new header photo! I love it. Sorry I can't ship you some of our cold; we have plenty of it!

TexWisGirl said...

with the NE US could send you a bit of a cool-down. i'd not have been able to hold my tongue and may have said a few more firmly vocalized terms in her ear. :)

Linda said...

Strange how the weather is so very different in other parts of the world. I am in Canada, as you know, and in the Northeastern U.S. right now they are having a huge blizzard and have already gotten more than 2 feet of snow...and many people have lost their power.

I cannot stand temperatures of 30 or higher or 30 below, either. Today it is -14 celsius in Montreal and the winds are expected to pick up and make that -25. Stay safe, I prefer the cold to the heat, as at least you can bundle up and wear more clothing. The heat has killed many people here in Montreal during our horrific, humid and hot summers. Sending you a hug.

Out To Pasture said...

Just another reason I never do surveys -- it usually leads to unwanted follow-up. And like you, I really don't like to fend off salespeople. Stay cool, Jean!
Florence

Hannah said...

My sympathies, Jean. Since I am primarily a gardener the long winter seems hard for me to endure, and 2013 fall hit me particularly hard, having to let go of my growing vegetables and watch them all succumb to frost. So last summer, which was also very hot, since the world was the hottest EVER last year, I made a list of things I didn't like about summer so I could read it in the fall, such as being hot, sweaty, etc. But it's hard to remember all that discomfort when I am cold. Our house at least doesn't heat up a lot since it has a daylight basement with earth-bermed walls that keep it cooler downstairs, but we don't spend much time down there. Large trees around the house can keep it cooler, but also could be a considerable danger in a high windstorm, which is increasingly a possibility with the changes in the weather. So, while I'm enduring what's left of winter and possibly cool spring, I hope you can cope with your summer, and while I long for the growing season I'm not looking forward to the heat. I guess it's all a trade-off.

Jim said...

Hi Jean. We couldn't be in more opposite places right now! We are in the middle of getting that Ne US blizzard. Actually it is not as bad as it was predicted to be but still a storm with freezing rain and wind. So far the power has not gone out. Fingers crossed.

Don't you just hate those persistent phone sales people. It's like they are as thick as a rock sometimes. You did well my dear, sometimes that is the only way to go!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Phone telemarketers do not have ears. My husband LOVES to mess with them, but I generally just don't answer the call. It was 75 degrees here today, so I am also feeling that heat wave.

Carol Mattingly said...

I hate phone salsas like those. You did the only thing you could do. I commend you. You folks keep as cool as you can. Carol

KB said...

I would say that you were very polite with that pushy salesperson. I would not have been so polite!

When a phone salesperson is rude like that to my husband, he says "Could you please hold for a minute?", and then he puts the phone down on the table, leaving it there for as long as the salesperson will wait. His rationale is that they waste our time so why shouldn't we waste theirs?

I hope it cools down for you.

joanne said...

first thing I saw was your new header photo and it took my breath away (in a good, refreshing way!) Then I read of your heat wave. Hot. I am in the middle here on the west coast of U.S. The east is getting pounded with snow, the middle is rainy and cold and we are balmy 65degrees and sunshine. What in the world is going on???

bj said...

Juno turned out to go farther up and didn't cover NY up like predicted.
I mean,REALLY...it IS winter, right?
hahhaa...sometimes the news media and weather girls can get carried away. Poor Boston, tho.....
and regarding the phone call...we do what K B BEAR does...hahhaa..
Thanks for coming by.
xo

Gingi said...

Ugh, I have had some issues with pushy salespeople recently.. they like to come to my front door.. I even had a lady yell at me when I finally closed the door on her when she wouldn't take no for an answer!! Some people are crazy! lol

Anyhoo, I found your blog through a fellow blogger, and just wanted to stop by and say hi! It would totally make my day if you did the same, or better yet, keep in touch! <3 - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

Jenn Jilks said...

The storm was not as bad as they thought, but it's good to be prepared!
I love your story. I get so angry with pushy sales peeps. Hubby is patient, as you normally are. Not me!
"Give me your home phone number and I'll call YOU at dinner time."
This chickie obviously stuck to her script, despite your being firm. Twit.
Keep cool! We're expecting more snow.

Allie said...

When the boys were small and I got those annoying phone calls, I would say "one moment please" then hand the phone to them. The folks never called back. STay cool hon - the winter storm for NY was a bust, I was laughing so hard that they put out a curfew and told folks to even stay off the sidewalks. C'mon, we're used to this!!! We have over 10 inches of new snow today, you think folks are going to stay home? This is just another winter day. The media hypes it out of all proportion. Wish I could send you some cool breezes though...

Rain said...

Just found your blog and have been reading many old posts! I live in Maine -Northeastern US- and we sure did get hit very hard-but it's so interesting to read your posts about the warm/hot weather you are having! In fact I didn't know what to think when you were talking about autumn coming and picking the strawberries-but finally I read New Z. And it was much clearer! My most sincere wishes and prayers for health and strength in the struggles you and your husband are facing. Take care-Rain