Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Saturday 30 April 2016

Ripples on a quilt

 

The pattern on this reminded me of when my Grandmother told me about playing “ Chucky stones in the Clyde” this was back so many years when she lived in Scotland. I have tried to do what we call Skipping Stones, but didn’t manage to get many skips at all.

This was another stunning pattern from Sandy at

 Upstairs Hobby Room 

and we are so lucky to have her share with us the BOM tutorials. I did a trial with 2 blocks, quilted it,and didn’t like it at all, so tried this with a spiral .If I said I was happy with it, that would be an understatement. This is maybe the one I like the most of any recent sewing and quilting projects. I started the spiral by having the centre printed onto paper, then stitched through the paper with no thread. This gave me a good start, and with the  guide bar, managed to keep the width between the rows fairly even. The walking foot was so good, and not a pucker on the back.Wow, maybe that is a first.

Ripples under way

An inside shot , and a second one outside on the lawn, in a sheltered spot, away from the southerly wind.

Ripples #2

Ripples #1

I wanted to do an OOB, or Out Of Bounds, but have run out of time.We are already into the 30th April,and the link is for the 29th, so  I am very happy NZ is a day ahead ( almost).

Quotation of the day, author unknown,

The greatest challenge in life

is discovering who you are….

the second greatest

is being happy with what you find”

Greetings from Jean

23 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Beautiful quilting!

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful quilting Jean!! Looks wonderful and what a good idea to have a practice just on paper before attacking the real deal.

Julie Fukuda said...

Good plan and great results. Skipping stones would make lots of interlocking circles which might be harder to quilt.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Very nice....your spiral looks perfect.

Leeanne said...

Love that big spiral quilting!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, gorgeous quilt, well done! I love the quote too!
Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Lovely quilting. Love the colors on this piece too.

Great quote.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Sandy said...

Jean I just love your vision of the Diamond Path block pattern, and the spiral quilting just sets your mini off in such a fantastic way!! Again stunning finish!! Your quote got an "amen" from me too! How true, be the best version of You that you can be! Be inspired by others, and inspire...we all are a part of the big picture, all needed and all uniquely qualified to do our part!!

camp and cottage living said...

My goodness, Jean, you've done it alright! Your quilt looks great.
I did like your quote too.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh Jean, you have every right to be very proud. I think this looks tremendous...so even and sure are your quilting lines. It really complements the quilt itself too. Beautiful!

TexWisGirl said...

it's really pretty. as is your stunning header photo!

Jenn Jilks said...

Jean, you are amazing!

KB said...

Jean, I have to concur with the others. You produce so many gorgeous masterpieces! Wow!

I love the quote. I've accomplished the first part but I still waver on the second part. I have a big challenge to my character ahead of me, and I'm worried that I won't like what I find out. I love thought-provoking quotes!

The Furry Gnome said...

Nancy, thanks for the comments on my 'Seeking Adventures' post, and for the invitation down south! Sadly, I doubt we'll ever take you up on it, 'cause the "adventure" of those long overseas flights is waning on us! And yes, I still like this quilt!

Sharon - IN said...

You spiral quilting is great! And you finished it complete with binding. I'm always happy to have a top done. Quilting will have to wait for another day.

Tanya said...

Ooh! Absolutely beautiful quilt! I love the colors you've used in it too! The blues and then the orange border. Fantastic! I have tried quilting with a walking foot but never did get the hang of it. Maybe I would try it again! You inspire me!

Jim said...

Beautiful work, Jean!
It takes a lifetime sometimes to discover whom we are....and then, like it or not, it's what we are. Luckily most of us like what we see and are.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great quilt! Thanks for the tip on starting the circle. I want to try this.

Carol Mattingly said...

That is a gorgeous quilt Jean. You have a knack for that. Wished I did. Carol

Fundy Blue said...

I'm in awe of your spiraling talent, Jean! That third photo really captured the result well! What a profound quote you shared! Hope all is well in your corner of the world!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Wow- the quilt is gorgeous! You are a very talented seamstress/quilter. If I tried that, I would definitely pucker it.

bj said...

What a wonderful quilt...a true work of art.
Thank you for the Mother's Day wishes...and I hope your day if full of sunshine, love and family.
xoxo

Our photos said...

Wow, i like that !