Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Thursday 11 January 2018

The Time Has Come…..

For me to choose a word for 2018.

This year it is “ORGANISE”, yes in capitals, and I started today, seriously… with fabric scraps, the batik pieces colour sorted, ironed, and all tidied up. Then the cotton strips, then larger amounts of batik.No-one but me would know the 2 or so hours spent resulted in some empty boxes, but I am happy.Plastic bins are so handy.

Quilting, I have some of the  blocks of “ I wish You a Merry Quilt Along”  free motion quilted, and hope to have some joined before Monday. This is Block #12. They will all have red  or blue sashing, then joined with some Christmas cream fabric.

Block #12, Christmas lights

I wish you a Merry Christmas Blocks 1 to 11

Then, along came a new QAL, it said “Please Join” so I did.  Dione, over at the Clever Chameleon…   hop over to her page and see what else there is, a wonderful quilter ,  has the  Beary Colourful BOM, and I loved it from first glance.So much, that before I had a chance to think, “Red Ted” was sorted, fused, appliqued and stitched. I am making another in redder fabrics as the batting did not make him puff as much as I wanted with the  trapunto effect.

So “ Redder Ted” is cut, and waiting for some new backing, and fatter wadding.   A dear friend has a grand-daughter who will be 2 next January, so this is for her.

Further blocks with the teddies will have rainbow coloured  Teds, February will be Blue.

Red Teddy January 2018 finished

And to finish 2017, here is the Super Moon, early the next morning.

Super Moon December 2017

If you read Inger’s blog,     Desert Canyon Living   , you will see that the secret parcel arrived in good time in California,and Rachael received her bag. Then inside, was a bag for Inger too, and a small owl wall hanging.

Rachael’s Bag was made with batik fabric that had cats on,and the  applique owl, one I enjoy so much.

Rachel's Bag 2017

Inger’s bag had colours of Sweden, paler blue and lemon, and her owl was in muted batiks. Inger's bag and owl wall hanging 2017

Inger sent me a lovely email with photos, so I could see Rachael, a lovely young lady,so special, and a huge smile

Her blog title for that was 

“ Celebrating Friendships Across The World”,

and this is so true. I  have many friends, world wide, they are true friends, we share, care, and support each other in good times and sad. I am honoured and know this is a huge privilege in my life. Thank you all so much .

I hope for us all, 2018 is a year with happiness, courage if needed, restful times, and good health for you all and everyone at your home.

Quotation of the day, author unknown

“ Clutter is simply delayed decisions”

Greetings from Jean.

23 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jean, both hubby and I have gone through our whole house decluttering. I like being organized, it just feels less stressful. The Redder Bag is adorable. I love the owl bag and wall hanging. I have visited Inger's blog, I will go and check out her post too. Have a happy day and weekend.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great projects, Jean!!

Jenn Jilks said...

You have such fabulous projects.
I'm not feeling 100% and took a walk outside yesterday. That helped.
Yes, I heard the shock go around the world, once your wood was done!!! cheers from here!

Cheryl said...

I really like your Christmas block. Organize is a great word for the new year, I can totally understand the joy of taking the time to organize scraps.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I have to giggle at myself... I first read your word as "orange-ize" as in make with lots of orange. Organize makes much more sense, though! I hope you have a wonderful 2018, it sounds like it is getting a lovely start.

Carol Mattingly said...

That Swedish owl is gorgeous and my favorite. All of those quilts are so beautiful. Hours and hours of work for you. I don't have the patience, but I'm glad God blessed some with it. Have a wonderful organized New Year Jean. Carol

Dee said...

Dear Nancy, I came over to your blog from Inger's. She and I have become friends through blogging and I've learned a lot about Sweden from her.

I'm not a quilter, but I have several friends and a sister-in-law who do quilt and make lovely gifts for those they cherish.

I'm excited to follow your postings. Peace.

Leeanne said...

You are blessed with friends wide and far.......cute redder Ted!

Allie-oops Designs said...

Your Christmas blocks are lovely, hon! Your little Ted is darling, too, and I love all the owls and bags! Good word you chose, btw, maybe I should have chosen that one, lol....

KB said...

Uh oh! "Organize" is your word. I don't have to make it my word too, do I? I feel pretty sure that you are already more organized than I am :)

Lovely red teddy! And I loved Inger's post. Your Hootie Owls are amazing.

The Furry Gnome said...

I've heard another certain quilter mention the word 'organize' a lot recently!

Nancy J said...

Thank you all for wonderful words, and the word I chose, Hugh doesn't know about that yet, and I am sure he will have a suitable reply. My little room where I store fabric, design boards that are portable, a spinning wheel, some of Hugh's woodwork, papers, some not used crockery, I am too ashamed, scared, and downright embarrassed to show a photo of before!!! The after , hopefully by the end of next week, will be publishable.

Lori Skoog said...

Your work is always so beautiful! And I love the way you have connected with so many people around the world...some I am also familiar with....Inger, Dee and others. Right now (12:56am) it is still over 50 degrees outside and it is blowing. Earlier we had rain and much of our snow is gone. In the next 12 or 15 hours the temperature is going to drop and we may get a lot of snow. They take very good care of the roads around here...but we will have to take care of our driveway, which is very long. I'm sure there will be many photos by tomorrow night.

I want you to know how much I appreciate your comments. Don't you wish we could all get together sometime?

Julie Fukuda said...

Oh, I would never show any "before" picture. Even when I organize, it only means parts are where I can find them next time but other stuff is still lurking in the background.Your owls are just wonderful ... but any owl is wonderful to an owl person. Friendship across the pond in all directions is a true joy.

Out To Pasture said...

As usually, cute and colourful creations, Jean. Great eye candy and inspiration. Ah yes, organize -- my clothes closet, bureau drawers and workshop were promised a good old sorting this winter. Maybe tomorrow -- or the day after. (Sigh)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What is it about a new year that seems to signal clean up and clean out. I too did a huge upheaval in my tiny sewing room to once again discard and reacquaint myself with what I have stowed away. It felt great.
I love the bears BOM...you'll have fun making those blocks.
Yes, what a strong positive word to choose for 2018! And I love that saying.

Jim said...

A good choice for 2018! I could use it as well if you don't mind, Jean.
I can see Inger and Rachael's faces when they saw these beautiful things.
Yes, here's to a wonderful 2018 for us all!!

12Create said...

Yes, it is that time of year when we have the urge to 'organise' our surroundings. You have made some beautiful projects. I look forward to seeing what your make in 2018. Best wishes for a great year full of lots of creativity and friendships.

Jenn Jilks said...

Hope all is well with you and yours! We're freezing, but OK. This too shall pass...

Mystic Quilter said...

Your word - ORGANISE - is a good one!!! This would work very well with my BALANCE, I could use both of these in my life!! Glad to see you're back into quilting again after an enforced rest.

Mystic Quilter said...

Good to see you back into quilting Jean! Love your work, I could use some organisation in my life s well as my word for the year!

Janet said...

Oh I like your quote today! Good for you for being organized. I am getting there very slowly. Well it has been 21 years getting this disorganized so I guess I can take a bit of time to reverse the process. Hopefully not 21 years though. I love your Christmas lights block. I saw the version with the rickrack in your last post and I like this one with the ribbon better although the rickrack is stupendous. I can't wait to see what you do with it. The teddies will make a really cute quilt too. Hope you have a great year ahead!

Fundy Blue said...

I have a lot of delayed decisions lying around my house ~ LOL! I can never get ahead! I'm sure your friend's grand-daughter will be thrilled with Redder Ted! So cute! If we move to Sun City Grand in Surprise, Arizona, I will finally take up quilting! You are such an inspirations, Jean! I tried to capture the super moon in Arizona, but there were too many clouds. Loved your shot. All the best to you, my friend!