Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Tuesday 8 May 2018

The Dream, then The Reality!!!

We can all dream, it costs nothing, we get huge enjoyment, then slowly flutter or fall down to earth with a thud!!

innova Long Arm machine and frameGammill Machine cropped

Hugh and I had a few nights stay at Rotorua,saw Dani’s horse, Joey, and did a short photo shoot.He is a handsome, tame fellow, and no doubt took Hugh back to his pony club days.

As close as he could get, JoeyHugh, Joey and Dani

The clipped coat was hidden under a mid season cover.Joey and his clipped coat

this is where Joey lives. Quiet, green grass, and stables if the weather gets too cold, too wet, or too windy ( gale force winds can happen here too).


Farmland where Joey lives

  On Sunday we  went back to Taupo, where I joined in with some 10 or so other ladies from nearby, and Tauranga and further afield, to have the most wonderful morning with Linda and Peggy.

Their home looks over the Waikato River, and in winter you can see the snow on the Ruapehu and Tongariro Mountains.

Waikato river

There was a little snow as we drove along the Desert Road , in the Central Plateau.

The Central Plateau from high up

Linda blogs at Razzle Dazzle Quilter , and you will find Peggy at             Kiwi Klippings.

We were all introduced to one-another, then out to the “room” where all the goodies are kept.The Innova is a dream machine, and Linda showed us how to load a quilt onto the leaders, why backing and batting need to be wider and longer than the quilt top,  and  use Red Snappers, which make it all  look so easy. Then some ruler work,on a pre outlined pattern, THEN, we were all allowed to have a go!!! Magical, scary, but such fun.Linda’s gentle guiding hand helped the needle stitch a better design than my fumbling attempt,

We all did some swirls, leaves, lines and a bit more, but there were plenty of empty spaces that Linda would fill in later on.

Morning tea intervened, this was scrumptious!!! Thank you so much Peggy.

.I am certain that my ancient Gammill will definitely be re-wired very soon, as this is so much easier than manhandling a quilt into a domestic machine space. Linda had our names in a bowl, one  was drawn out, and Margaret would be the lucky recipient of the finished quilt, cream thread on cream fabric.

p.s. Linda finished it yesterday, so another one for a client could go onto the frame.

Thank you both, Linda and Peggy, for a fabulous morning, and did I mention the morning tea??? Hot savouries, tea, coffee, expresso if you would like it ( I did, please) yummy slice and more.  They are a dream team together, and we all so enjoyed what Linda called

“ A Day in the Life of a Long Arm Quilter”.

Quotation of the day, author unknown

“ True friendship is based on  trust, honesty,

and  sincere generosity from the heart”

Greetings from Jean

28 comments:

Susan Heather said...

A lovely break - I hope you get some good news from the hospital soon.

Tanya said...

Your longarm experience sounds like so much fun! And to be able to try with an experienced quilter!!! I am SO envious! I have always wanted to try my hand on a longarm and the idea of owning one is a not to happen dream... I don't think there ARE any longarm quilters in Japan and certainly not any teachers nor set up people nor maintenance people... so it is all a dream. What a wonderful time with your friends!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the nice write up Jean. I really must get my act together and write a blog!
The quilt Is all finished now. It looks good with all our shared stitching.

kiwikid said...

Sounds like a wonderful time away, the view down the river is beautiful.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a fun day, sounds like you had a great time.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely time you had with other friendly quilters.

The countryside where Joey lives is absolutely beautiful!

Have a great week dear Jean & Hugh ~ FlowerLady

Cheryl said...

I have played on a longarm before and they are so much fun to use. One day maybe I will have one. I hope that you get yours up and running soon.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

It is so nice to have a dream turn into a reality with trusted, confident, kind hands guiding you. It sounds like a lovely day. Thinking of you and Hugh and wishing you both well.

Fundy Blue said...

Dani lives in a glorious area! NZ is beautiful. Joey is a handsome horse. What a special morning you had with Linda and Peggy. I can't wait to see what happens when you get your Gammill up and running. My great grandmother would be amazed. She and her daughter Ella (my grandmother) were quilters. GG insisted that you had a minimum of 15 stitches to an inch (2.54 cm) and that you couldn't use a longer thread than from your fingertips to your elbow. GG's true artistic gift was rug hooking. She'd be thrilled to know that my three sisters are hookers! Sending love and hugs to you and Hugh!

Carol Mattingly said...

What fun to spend time with ladies that love hobbies as yours. A hobby and a tremendous skill too. Love that horse. Oh my, how cute he is and what a place to live and roam. Carol

Tish Stemple said...

How awesome that you were able to play on the long arm! I do have to agree with you it is much easier than manhandling the quilt. Hopefully, your Gammill will be up and running very soon and you will be dancing with thread all over the quilt top.

Leeanne said...

What a fabulous day out, great weather and fabulous views, those I never get tired seeing as the central Plateau is always home to me. A special day put on by Linda & Peggy. It must have been fun for you all to see the day & life of a long arm quilter.........good luck with your machine. ......so tell me does Linda have 'long arms' like me? :-)))

Jim said...

Jean, what a wonderful trip you both had!
Horses for Hugh and quilting for you! I guess like with most things today quilting machines have also developed with the times.
A glorious day here in Nova Scotia.....not too warm, just right 15C.

Jenny said...

What a lovely time you had with Linda and Peggy. Linda is so talented with her long arm, and I'm sure you all came away with your heads spinning with many tips for the future. Peggy is lovely too, and did a marvelous catering job, it seems.

Barb said...

Sounds like you’re taking some fun excursions, Jean. I love the photos you posted - such gorgeous scenery.

KB said...

I loved seeing those photos of Joey and of the beautiful NZ countryside! I'm afraid that all that quilt talk is lost on me - but I can tell that you had a wonderful time with your friends! And the tea sounds absolutely delicious!

Nancy J said...

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments. Staying with our daughter after a long time not travelling there, a super SUPER morning with Linda and Peggy , seeing Joey, safe travels each way.I have so much to be SO very thankful for.

Julie Fukuda said...

A super post of a super trip! Playing with one of those machines can be fun but no way I could ever get one of those through my front door ... even if I had a place to put it.

Allie-oops Designs said...

I got to play on a longarm before and it was amazing - but I don't have the strength in my arms to guide it for long. GORGEOUS horse, and gorgeous setting!!!!

What Karen Sees said...

Love your take on the dream versus reality!! so true! I always love to see your glimpses of my beloved NZ, along with your activities!

Sharon - IN said...

Oh my! Your visit with "A Day in the LIfe of aLong Arm Quilter" sounds like a wonderful time! I hope you get your machine up and running soon!

Dee said...

Dear Jean, what a lovely posting this is--with its sharing of a quilting experience and its gratitude and appreciation for fellow quilters. Peace.

Jenn Jilks said...

You have such lovely friends and family and quitling family!
I just did the lawn on the tractor!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Joey is a beautiful horse. I love the pretty views of the river and mountains. Sounds like a great visit and tea with your quilting friends.
Have a happy day and week ahead.

Our photos said...

That sounds like a well spent day !

Paige said...

I know nothing about horses, but Joey is a real beauty. What an adventure quilting on the longarm, sounds like fun!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

It's fun to dream and dream big. Your pics are just beautiful and I know you must have had a grand time with Linda and Peggy.

WE said...

Joey's picture looks cool...