Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Thursday, 22 March 2018

One Day After Another

The days seems to slip by, with some things started,  and others finished.

The garden continues to show glorious colours, with

Brunsvigia Josephinae, this year 3 bulbs all flowered.

Brunsvigia Josephinae

Brunsvigia, so many flower heads this year,2018

The  Miscanthus Sinesis has the beginnings of those feathery heads on tall stems.

Miscanthus grass with feathery heads on tall stems

The sedum is another  colour below the grasses.

Purple Sedum

I tried to resurrect the post that would not publish, but had an “error 404” every time. So here are some  pics from our last ferry trip coming back to Wellington. They will all have some blur, it is in reality salt spray on the windows.

Waiting in the queue at Picton.It was a cool start. Maybe about 5  Celsius. ( Cool for March down here in NZ )

Picton, waiting to board the ferry

Marlborough Sounds, as the sun started to shine through the clouds.

Marlborough  Sounds, through the window

Cook Straight is ahead, the rocks  are the last  we see of the Marlborough Sounds.

On the ferry,  Cook Straight is ahead

We  were on the lower vehicle deck, it is a “drive through” and 3 cars went out ahead of us. The man is standing in front of the huge door which opens down, with a  lot of sirens sounding, and huge hydraulic rams working.

On the ferry at Wellington

Here is the door partly opened, taken through the windscreen.

Ferry door is opening

I had a full day at Palmerston North Hospital on Wednesday. It poured on the drive in, and was still raining most of the morning. The Myoscan appointment time was nigh!!!

I managed, with some help, to find the “ Nuclear Medicine” department, and after meeting the others in the waiting room, had my weight taken, and the radioactive tracer injection. Then a wait, and the first scan. The machine was like this, but I went through feet first. Not a comfortable table, a bit like concrete!!! But every staff person was so caring, and made the whole day go much better than I had anticipated.( until the stress test!!!)

Image result for Gamma camera photos

Then after that scan, a wait of almost 2 hours, then off to the second floor for the stress test.This was not much fun, in fact it was hard work.Not a treadmill or an exercycle, but a drug, ( Dobutamine)  to make my heart think it is exercising to the utmost. I had to march on the spot for FOUR minutes!!!

“ Pace yourself, try not to walk too fast but lift your knees higher, remember that 4 minutes will seem to be a long time” was what the specialist told me at the start. He was  absolutely correct. He started to give me the countdown, after 2 minutes, and encouragement as well, asking if I was short of breath.YES, did I have pain, yes, could I please lift my knees higher yes , as it became harder to breath or talk.

An ECG was done at the same time, and I think the antidote was also given by  the infusion pump at the end, that took another 4 minutes until I felt slightly better. This was a scary procedure, and after having a treadmill test last year, know which I would prefer.

Then another walk, very slowly, downstairs,another lovely orderly was with me, his reassuring words helped so much.  A short wait, another scan, this time about 10 minutes, then get dressed and off home.Phew, I was so glad to have a coffee after none for over 24 hours.  My GP should get the results on Friday.

All staff were so caring, as we waited, in those in-glamorous white dressing gowns, over the standard green gown that did not fasten anywhere,as staff walked to and fro,  two of us were told “ Ladies, you are so elegant”, another commented, “ Waiting for the Day Spa!!” another “ Good Luck”, how  we  all needed a load of that.

Quotation of the day from Denis Waitley

“ A smile is the light in your window that tells

others there is a caring, sharing person inside”

Greetings from Jean


FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Jean ~ what lovely blooms you have and great pics of your ferry crossing. Your hospital experiences didn't make me feel all that great and I can only imagine how you must have felt having to go through them. Glad you made it through and got back home to enjoy a good cup of coffee.

Love, hugs & prayers for you dear heart ~ FlowerLady

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Oh, Jean, so sorry you had to endure such a hard day of testing. I am concerned about you, please let us know how they came out. I hope you are OK.

Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl said...

That stress test does sound a bit terrifying. I hope that the results are conclusive and I will hold you in my thoughts.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Your flowers are so pretty. I love the views from the ferry. I hope you get good results from your nuclear test. Good luck! Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

Tish Stemple said...

I can't say that all those tests sound very fun, actually the stress test sounds really scary. I'm glad to hear you made it through all those tests and that the staff was very caring and encouraging. Having a supportive staff can make scary situations so much better.

Carol Mattingly said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous time on your trip. I am so glad and glad you are back at home and doing well. I have never had a stress test before. Geez, if I ever do I hope I pass. Sounds like you did really well. Praying for good news. Carol

Jenny said...

Good luck indeed, hope you get good results from these tests. Or, if not so good, that something can be done quickly to make things right.

Susan Heather said...

Love the two photos of the Sounds with the sun.

Julie Fukuda said...

The first picture reminds me of our spider lilies that herald the first days of Fall. I surly hope the results of your tests will compensate for the trama of taking them.

Mystic Quilter said...

Jean, at least that day is now behind you and I haven't had this particular sort of stress test but have been in a cath lab and given that particular drug to wind the heart up. I was told it would feel like running a marathon, I thought "oh yeah" but oh boy what a time it gave me, I do so sympathise with you. As you wrote this yesterday did you have the results today or is it next Friday?
Other matters - the garden flowers - such lovely colours and the view of the Sounds - makes my heart turn over, I love the South Island.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good luck with the tests. I had a stress test, as well. I understand. Yikes.
I love our local ferries. You have quite the trek.
Your flowers are gorgeous! It gives me such hope.
cheerio from the deep freeze!

Allie-oops Designs said...

Your garden is just beautiful, Jean! But oh how scary that test sounds, so glad it's over, praying for good results!!!

Our photos said...

Hmmm, that looked like a nerving day at the hospital. I hope the results are positive. Let’s hope for the best !

Sandra Walker said...

ahhh, such beautiful colour in your photos Jean! Soon, soon, we'll have colour here again. Lovely ferry photos too! Hope you get good advice/solutions when you get (or got) your results. Snort! on the green gowns lack of closures...

Jim said...

Jean, sending positive energy your way. Sounds like you had a gruelling day.

Susan Heather said...

I do hope the results were good or found something easily fixed.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Such pretty blossoms and your ferry boat ride reminds me of ones we used to take when our children were small on trips to the beach. The hospital days sounds so tiring. I hope your results were good and all is well. Prayers to you!

Sharon - IN said...

My! But your gardens are so beautiful! I hope you hear good news as a result to your tests. Hugs!

Terri said...

Oh my gosh! The stress test sounds so scary. I have only ever had one and it was years and years ago as part of a physical. I don't remember anything but walking on a treadmill until I was tired, and I was a smoker then too. Now, I can walk down to the mailbox, but the walk back up winds me terribly, and I've been a non smoker for going on nine years. I really do need to have one of these stress tests again, but think I will do the heart ones first. It tough getting older. WIll be sending good thoughts to you that your tests are all normal.

Barb said...

Hope all good news from those scans, Jean! I've never experienced a stress test like you had! I remember that ferry between Nelson and Picton. I got deathly seasick on the way to Picton, so we took the faster ferry back.

Dee said...

Dear Jean, my sister-in-law recently had all those tests you had to endure. She had the procedures done in the hospital and was told she had to stay overnight. Not sure why. But she did come home the next day. That was last week and about 5 days later she went to the grocery store and really tired herself out. So I hope that you are listening to your body and resting! Peace.

Tanya said...

It sounds like a terrible test... maybe it would be easier not to know...

KB said...

That myoscan and stress test sound like they were tough. I hope that the results are good and encouraging.

Fundy Blue said...

I'm glad that's all behind you, Jean! It sounds like you had wonderful people shepherding you through the procedures. Radioactive tracer injections ~ been there, done that, no fun, hard to lay still all that time. Coffee is the best, isn't it! Take care, my friend!