Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Thursday 16 July 2020

Thank you, thank you all SO much

Hello friends, here in NZ and world wide.

Thank you all so very much from my  heart, my repaired and working heart, for all your loving, caring, thoughtful words .emails, and phone calls.
They have boosted me, and given me the assurance that love does conquer all.
I was talking to our son-in-law this week, he had a heart attack on 25th April, and has a stent in the same LAD,. I said I thought a few days at home and I would be bouncing back better than ever, like a spring chicken,BUT, that didn't happen. He is a whole lot younger, and he said the same.
So we are both taking one day at a time.
This was the view when I bravely looked out the window as we neared Wellington, on 19th June,  probably somewhere along the Kapiti coastline.
Before this it was mostly clouds.
The lovely young lady I met in the same room at Wellington went home to Nelson, and as I do, I wanted to post her something hand made. But she said " I don't need a little something Jean, your friendship is ample" However I like research, and should have been a detective or sleuth. I knew  that they lived south of Nelson, and the  type of business, so after consulting Yellow Pages, phoned the first one on the list.
"Hello, I am Jean in the North Island, This might be a really wild goose chase " Paul said, tell me. So I did.
How could I be so lucky to hit the jackpot first time, Kaz's partner's sister worked there. So now I had an address to post off the secret surprise. I sorted out some goodies from the " Spare Parts" department,  Fleece hat and matching neck warmers, mitts, phone charger holders for the staff, where Paul was so helpful, and off it went.
Then I got the phone call, 
"Jean, Corey came home and told me I had a present, and the others all got one too, Thank you SO, much, I am so spoilt "
Next thing, I see photos on Facebook of them all, but the funniest part was the banner beneath the desk at their work place.
" IMPORTANT, no claims after installation"
I had to laugh, does this apply to a heart valve transplant or a stent!!!

Just to add to the local drama, at the weekend I developed a constant cough, sore throat and mild fever. So arranged for a Covid Test. Let me tell you all, the swab  down your nose is no fun, the strong taste, the stinging of  whatever is used as a fixing agent, it was ghastly.
28 hours later, a phone call, negative result.Huge sigh of relief all round.

Next weekend I can now celebrate my 80th birthday ( How did that happen ) , a very small gathering at home, family can now arrive safely, and I can blow out some candles.
I think of how life can change in a flash, and how we share and care, I am so grateful 

The quote for today comes from Jake Bailey, the gallant student who faced a massive challenge  in 2015,   and underwent aggressive treatment for Stage 4 Burkitt non-Hodgkin's lymphona.
He was  Head Boy at Christchurch Boys High School, and came to the prize-giving in a wheelchair. He has written a book, is a public motivational speaker, and gives us all a huge lesson in life and how to face adversity  at the highest  level.


"So be gallant, be great, be gracious and 
be grateful for the opportunities that you have"

Greetings from Jean



36 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

Oh Jean I am so glad you are better and I agree with you that as we age it gets harder and harder to get over an illness. I am so glad you get to celebrate your birthday with your loved ones. Happy 80th Birthday Jean. Take care. Carol

Kate said...

Happy Birthday, Jean. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Inger said...

First of all, I'm glad you are doing better. Life gives us so many challenges, and that quote is so spot on. From a young person who has seen a side of life most young people haven't.

Finally, Happy, Happy Birthday, dear Jean, I know you will have a lovely time with your family, And being one month into my 80s, it's really OK, fun even, and sort of amazing! I mean getting here is sort of surprising and amazing all at the same time.

Have a wonderful birthday!

Susan Heather said...

Love the quote - he is an amazing young man. Wishing you a very happy 80th birthday at the weekend.

Tanya said...

My goodness! Well, happy birthday to you and I guess I've never thought of you as getting close to your 80th! So good that your test came out negative. Stay healthy!

Julie Fukuda said...

I hope you will enjoy your 80s. I started counting back when I reached 50, so the 80s keep getting farther and farther away. Now in my teens, I plan to do it right this time around. Many happy returns of the day.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jean
What a great quote, perfect to go with your post. I am glad you are doing better and for the negative Covid test. I wish you a very happy 80th birthday! I hope Hugh is recovering well too. Take care and stay safe! Enjoy your day!

Out To Pasture said...

Glad to learn you are mending well and ready to celebrate your milestone birthday. I'm sure you and your family will thoroughly enjoy the day. Happy, happy birthday, Jean! Admired the airplane view of your beautiful country's coastline.

Sandra Walker said...

What a wonderful happy post to have drop into my inbox this morning. Lovely photo of our beautiful planet. So glad you are feeling so much better and that the test was negative. Hope the cough etc goes away quickly. Have a super-fun 80th birthday celebration! So like you to give not only others but also me, an added smile and warm fuzzy feeling reading how you sent secret surprises. Such a caring thoughtful person you are Jean.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, you are a trooper!! Glad your test was negative, stay well. Happy Birthday!

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm so happy for you. You are feeling better. You've had such a tough time.

We're back from the city, yesterday. Abandoned the grandies for a cataract appointment. I have a surgery date for August! What a relief.

Happy dance for all.

Happy Birthday. You are a special person, with your lovely surprise gifts! xxxx

Karen said...

That's a great shot of the coastline. I am glad to hear you are on the mend. Have a Happy Birthday Jean!

Allie said...

So glad to hear you're doing so well hon - when my mom got her new mitral valve, they told her a year to recover, and it did take that. It's a big deal to have work done on your heart - I'm just praising God you're doing so well! Happy happy birthday dear heart!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

You are kind and thoughtful and I'm so glad that all is well! From my corner of the world, I send my lots of healthy and healing wishes, including for your birthday for all the best for this birthday and beyond!!

Jane said...

Happy birthday, dear Jean! Hope your recovery goes quickly and smoothly!

Hugs
Jane

Jenny said...

So clever of you to play detective to get your hospital friends address, what a lovely surprise for her to get your wonderful parcel!
You know the saying, "these things take time", certainly refers to heart surgery too. One day at a time, small goals, and you will soon be back to normal.
So rest up, take any care that is offered, and make plans for a wonderful 80th birthday.

Kathleen said...

What a happy birthday and to be your 80th! Congratulations and here's to a happy and healthy year ahead. You deserve it!

Mystic Quilter said...

Great post Jean - will be calling you early next week.
Take care and Hugh also.

QuiltGranma said...

Wonderful news! And a Very Happy Birthday from one Jean to another! May this next year be one of good health and progress on those piles, I assume, of quilting projects! Birthday blessings to you!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Jean, I am caught up on your posts and have tears in my eyes reading about your journey...and poor Hugh taking that fall at such a moment...oh dear. But all's well that ends well as the saying goes. You are a trooper and obviously have a wonderful strong body to house that great kind mind of yours! And thank goodness for your wonderful healthcare system too (as I am for ours). You are my inspiration you know for the stitching and the blogging so no more health emergencies please.Tony turned 81 yesterday and many many happy returns of your special day to you too. It is quite a milestone.

Fundy Blue said...

What a heartwarming post, Jean! I'm relieved to hear that you are moving forward in your recovery. I keep hoping and praying that you and Hugh are coming along. One day at a time, sometimes one step at a time. The view of the Kapiti coastline is gorgeous. I'm glad that you bravely looked out the window! You have such a big heart ~ I am in awe of you, my friend! Hugs to you and Hugh! 🥰🍀

KB said...

Most of all, I am filled with gratitude that you are healing. Sending you love. Take it easy and slowly get stronger.

Sharon - IN said...

Happiest of Birthdays, Jean! May your strength increase and your projects continue to bless others.

Dee said...

Dear Jean, happy 80th! May the gratitude that always seems to fill your heart continue for many years to touch the lives of everyone you meet.

And . . . I'm so sorry that I haven't been blogging because of some vision issues and so missed everything that's been happening to you. But, I came back at a good time because you are assuring us that all went well and that not only are you recuperating from the operation but that you don't have COVID. Life is good.

Peace.

Kaz Angel said...

Happy Birthday Jean i finally found you lol,Im still so very honoured to have met you and spent some quality pain time together lol we all loved our gifts and they are being put to very good use at this time, I hope you and hugh have been taking it slowly, big luvs to you both

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Happy birthday, Jean! I am so glad you are recuperating so well and hopefully you will e 100% very soon. Have a nice, relaxing Sunday!

Nancy J said...

To you all, thank you so much for all your loving words and thoughts. Kaz Angel, wonderful to see you here, we were roomies for just those 2 days, but shared so much. XXX to you and Corey. And to everyone, I had a fab birthday, a huge cake, photos to come, some cards, prezzies, a new phone, and lots of love from all.Thank you all again.

The Padre said...

Sending Positive Vibes - Stay Strong

Cheers

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jean,
Just stopping by to see how you are doing. I hope you and Hugh are doing well. Take care, stay safe! BTW, thanks for visiting my blog and for the comment. Have a happy day and a great week ahead!

sewyouquilt2 said...

Hope your birthday was fabulous. Glad your covid was negative. Stay safe girl

Our photos said...

I am glad to read You are ok, Jean !

Dee said...

Dear Jean, are you okay? It's been several weeks since you shared the health concerns with us. I'm hoping your recuperation is going well . . . and "faster" than it was when you last posted. Take care. Stay safe. Know how important you are to so many of us. And . . . be gracious to yourself. Peace.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Hello Jean, I just dropped by to say hello and hope this finds you doing okay. Stay safe and take care

The Padre said...

Checking In - Big Hugs

Barb said...

Jean, a belated happy 80th! It does take awhile to recover. Hope each day has you feeling stronger. Hugs from CO.

The Padre said...

Sending Love And Light - Be Well Cheers