Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Sunday 18 July 2021

I'm Off For A Short Holiday or Two!!

This is Lake Taupo, courtesy of the Internet. Next weekend we will travel up there, and have a night away, for my birthday, and catch up with daughters from North and South.

Lake Taupo is in the Caldera of the Taupo Volcano, is the largest lake by surface area in New Zealand,  238 square miles or 616 sq, kilometres,

For the Geologists, it is oligotrophic, with  these rivers flowing into it, Waitahanui, Tongariro and Tauranga Taupo. The  main outflow is the Waikato River at the northern end,  Lake Taupo  has a catchment area of 1,346 sq. miles or 3,487 sq. km.It is some 29 miles long ( 46km) and 21 miles wide  (33km) the maximum depth is 610 ft, or 186 metres.

The average July water temperature is  12Celsius, today it was 11.7C, in summer maybe 19 Celsius, If you fall into the 10 Celsius lake water  in winter , the sad fact is you will  not  usually survive over 2 hours, Hypothermia is the biggest threat. 

So I will not be swimming or even out on a boat or float plane. 


This will be so welcome, and provided the Desert Road through the Central Plateau is not closed with snow,  all will be good. 

This was taken in 2004, probably one of the first photos taken with my new Canon camera, we stopped on the side of the road, and a lovely helpful gentleman  travelling through there suggested some settings to get the best shot. From memory he was from the US, had that distinctive accent,  and he also had a Canon, just a model  or 2 up from mine, and a  wonderful  Telephoto lens.


My visit to my GP went well, the new medication is altered yet again, and there is referral to the Cardiac Team in Wellington Hospital who did the stent surgery last year.  The locum cardiac consultant from Auckland ( a blog friend knows his name and has probably met him!!)  was there the day I was in ED, perfect timing. how lucky could I be. It seems that I might need another angiography, and maybe a wire pressure test!! Yes, I had to Google that, and learn another new procedure.

So I might get a second short holiday, hope there isn't any drama for Hugh this time round, and as I know what  might be the outcome, can be so thankful that age is no barrier for surgery that will give me a longer life.
So some unfinished or partly started projects have been under the Bernina,  no pressure but to clear the sewing desk would be a good start.

We have had massive flooding in the South Island, nowhere near where we live,  people returning home for just a look  ( Many  are still in evacuation centres or with friends away from the flooded areas) are devastated, more than knee high water everywhere inside. one family, baby due in 2 weeks, have lost all the baby clothes and preparations.Another farmer moved his cattle to high ground, they panicked, and were all drowned. I hope insurance, family, friends in a position to help and Government assistance will all contribute. 

Quotation of the day, author unknown,

" Be thankful for strangers who help at the right time"

Greetings from Jean.

16 comments:

Out To Pasture said...

Your first holiday sounds wonderful Jean! The second one, not so much. Hope you have a fun birthday with your daughters and the fab scenery.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jean,

Your holiday sounds wonderful, what a beautiful place to visit.
The lake and mountains are gorgeous. I hope the flood victims have some help, here the Red Cross or government can help victims. It is sad to loose everything. Take care, have a happy day! Wishing you a great new week ahead.

Marie Smith said...

It sounds like you will have a great time away with family in a gorgeous area. Extreme weather has become normal now it seems. I hope the testing and treatment help, Jean.

Inger said...

I'm sorry about your heart issues and hope the tests, if you have them, will go well. It's terrible with the flooding in your country, in Europe, and other places. Here we are under Red Flag fire alert due to possilbe thunder storms without rain producing dry lightning that can then start fires. All the best to you and Happy Birthday, close to mine, but I don't know the exact date.

Carol Mattingly Photography said...

I hope you have a lovely trip and there's no snow to keep you from your destination. Prayers for all your future health issues for the best outcomes all around. Be safe, have fun, be well. Carol

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Enjoy your time away and with family; it looks like an absolutely stunning location. And I hope that the water recedes and everyone can get the help they need more local to you (and so glad things are okay for you).

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Jean, I hope you have a lovely and recharging holiday! Prayers and I also wish you good health, my longtime blogging friend! ❤❤

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh lucky you Jean heading for Taupo!! Always love going through there on the way to visit Dad in Napier. Glad to read that swimming is not on the agenda!! I shall keep fingers crossed that the Desert Road is open for you and that you have a lovely break with your daughter.

Kathleen said...

Your holiday sounds terrific. I am glad you are in good hands and these docs keep their eyes on you! Hope that whatever they decide it is minor, drama free and perfectly corrects the issue!

Tanya said...

Happy Birthday and have a good holiday!

Julie Fukuda said...

What a beautiful place to enjoy a break with your family. I hope you have a happy birthday reunion and continue to improve in health. Our rainy season is over and now it is the free sauna. Makes me glad I am not an olympic athlete.

Barb said...

Have a fun and hopefully carefree vacation, Jean. So much devastation right now from natural occurrences. Happy Birthday!

Our photos said...

Finally, greetings from Holland. I hope You have a carefree and relaxing vacation !

KB said...

Have an absolutely wonderful time! It looks gorgeous. Have fun!

Jenn Jilks said...

It's a beautiful country. Sure wish we could visit.

It's a bit chilly, though, for swimming.
I hope you'll get your medical stuff sorted. It is difficult. We're still working on JB's issues. I'm getting frustrated.
Take care, my friend, hugs and a happy birthday.

The Furry Gnome said...

Have a great holiday!