Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Wednesday 29 September 2021

Good things take time

 Thank you all SO much for the lovely words and caring thoughts and messages. It is so good to be home, no stent needed, and the follow up might happen in due course. I am guessing I am not classed as an urgent case now.

Many years ago, in 2009, we were in the South Island, and visited the Catlins area. This is windswept from the colder south, and all the trees bend sideways. 


 There are these beautiful falls, a delight for any photographer. Back then I had a tiny Canon Ixus camera, and walked carefully across some slippery rocks for this photo.

The Purakaunui Falls are a favourite place for tourists, you walk along  a narrow  track through the trees, just off the main road.

While we were in that area, I was taken to a quilt fabric shop, and I chose some green fabrics. 

They have matured for over 12 years, and today I finally finished the bag I  started so many years ago. The Koru is a spiral shape based on the  unfurling silver fern, and on so many of New Zealand  rugby, hockey, netball  and other team jerseys, the Silver Fern is the symbol so often displayed there. There are 2 pockets inside, and it is SO roomy, perfect for a day out or a short holiday.




We have had some very cold days, non-stop rain, and the fire is still lit every evening.

Quotation of the day, from Tao Te Ching,

" Stay at the centre of the circle and let all things take their course"

Greetings from Jean



20 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I am so happy you are home now and feeling well. I love waterfalls, hubby and I try to see as many as we can during our travels. Your bag is beautiful, I like the fern. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

Allie said...

What a lovely part of the world you live in, Jean! I really like your bag, hey 12 years is not terribly long in quilt fabric years, lol.....
So glad you are doing so well!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love the spiral of a fern frond. The bag looks like the perfect combination of sturdy and soft. Big hugs.

Carol Mattingly Photography said...

I am so glad you are doing ok and hope you continue not to need anything more for your heart. Those things can be very scary. I love the bag. Green ferns are one of my favorite plants. Stay warm by that fire Jean. Carol

Barb said...

So glad to hear you didn't need a new stent! I visited that falls over 20 years ago. Your green material is perfect for the Koru bag.

Marie Smith said...

One of my fondest memories of New Zealand was the abundance of waterfalls.

Glad all is well again!

Jenny said...

Spring weather here is always rather temperamental isnt it. Just when I think I can start wearing lighter trousers, another cold snap arrives and it's back to winter woolies. Pleased you didn't need a new stent after all.

Susan Heather said...

Hope everything continues to go well health-wise. What a beautiful bag, you are very talented. The Catlins is on my bucket list when things return to whatever sort of normal we are going to get.

Lori Skoog said...

Yay! So glad you are out of the urgent care category! The bag you just finished is gorgeous!!! It's cooling off here too....and I see a fire in our near future.

Julie Fukuda said...

Good news, my friend. Here's hoping things just keep getting better.
I have been thinking of making a few gift bags. I like your idea. The colors are great too.

Fundy Blue said...

What wonderful news, Jean! I'm so relieved to know that you are doing well, no longer an urgent case! The bag you finished is gorgeous. Seeing you sewing and creating again is so encouraging. Hugs to you and Hugh!

KB said...

Such fabulous news. I hope that you are feeling well and enjoying those cozy fires! Spring will be there before too long.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Such wonderful news and I pray that you continue to do well. I love your bag! The colors are so pretty!

Tanya said...

Glad to hear that all is well.

Dee said...

Dear Jean, thank you--both for explaining the Koru symbol and for the ending quotation. Despite all that's been happening health-wise in your life, there seems, to me, to always be a feeling of serenity to your postings. A feeling that you do stay in the center and in that center you find the Oneness that unites us all. Peace.

Mystic Quilter said...

We do sometimes need to allow our fabric purchases percolate in our stash! So pleased to see that you have finished this lovely bag, it's beautiful, congratulations!

Jenn Jilks said...

I keep missing your posts in my newsfeeds!
That is a beautiful bag! You are so talented. xx

Our photos said...

It is nice to read You are feeling somewhat better !

Barwitzki said...

Nice that I found you ... your bag that you quilted is beautiful.
I like the motif and the colors are wonderful too.
Yesterday there was a big fabric market in our town on the old market ... the most wonderful colored fabrics ... you can imagine how I "sunbathed".
Many greetings to you from Viola.
p.s. I start today with a bag ... it should fit an A4 book :-))

The Furry Gnome said...

Wonderful colours, and you're back to quilting!