Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Saturday 17 February 2018

Celebrate, a New Kid on the Block , and a few finishes!!!


It was late afternoon, when I remembered the date. 17th February, 1962. Our wedding Anniversary is today. I need to find a photo, but the only one I had on file was my Mum on that day. her outfit was cornflower blue,  and cream, a jacket and skirt, one of the very few bought ones, We both made all our own clothes back then.

Grace, My mum on our  wedding day, 1962

So the day is almost over, and we have a new kid here, Pale,pale cream and slight ginger, the friendliest stray ever!!!  He has been wandering back and forth for a while, we think, but last Sunday morning came in the front door at 6 a.m. ,made friends with everyone, and has been a full time lodger since. He is very defensive around the food  bowl, which makes us think he has been  abandoned, and living on the streets!!! I would like you to meet  Basil Brush.!!!Basil Brush #2 Feb 2018

Basil Brush #4 Feb  2018

The Two B’s,Boris and Basil!!! Boris has only made friends with one other stray, so we wonder is this his half-brother?

Basil & Boris Feb 2018

On the sewing machine, a few finishes. Blue Ted, is done, another Red Ted waiting to have the applique stitching done.

Blue Ted February 2018

I joined another group, YES, crazy I know with all else going on, but I could not resist.Here is January kitty, named “ Pinky Purple”!!!

January little cat applique

And I said Goodbye to Foxy#2,  as she flew northwards. Foxy #1 is living here, waiting for the other two mates ( cut out but not sewn up yet) to join him.

Here they are, sitting in their own chairs, so friendly to each other.

Two little foxes sitting in their chairs

I am thinking of all the students, parents and families whose lives have been altered forever after the shooting at the High School in Parkland, Florida.How would any parent,friend, brother or sister or grandparent  cope with that, a massive loss that no-one else could ever understand. For any  of us with a teenager, younger child , grandson or grand-daughter ,niece or nephew, or teacher at any school, we can be so thankful for each day that they arrive home safely.

Quotation of the day, author unknown

“ Half of my heart lives in Heaven”

Greetings from Jean.

18 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, all the kitties are so cute. I like the name Basil Brush. Your Fox critters are wonderful. You are keeping busy! I hope all is well. It is sad about the mass shooting. Our government and politicians care more about their donations from the NRA than the citizens and these children. Enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

Sandy said...

Happy Anniversary
Who abandons a pet....if you can't care for them anymore at least take them to a shelter....at least Basil was smart enough to pick you as his new family!!
My heart sank and I felt sick when I heard about the shooting in Florida....there are no words.....such needless grief

Jenn Jilks said...

You are so crafty. I've not done sewing in awhile. The girls aren't wearing skirts or dresses anymore...
Yes the murders in the US are out of control, but they simply won't give up their automatic weapons. It is an awful mentality.
I'm so glad you are sewing up a storm. It's good to keep busy!!! We did well on our trip into the city yesterday. Another needle...
cheerio! xx

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Happiest of anniversary wishes to you, Jean! Foxy #2 turned out beautifully, and Basil does look perfectly at home with you. :)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Beautiful photo of your Mum, Jean. She was obviously happy with her daughter's choice!
Loved that transparency quilt...blues are so pretty.
Basil is a lucky boy(as well as pretty) now to have made his way across your threshold.
Perfect quote...so sad.

Kate said...

Welcome Basil. Around here, you would be known as a fawn tabby. Not as common as the orange and highly prized among their owners. They are rumoured to have exceptional temperaments.

Susan Heather said...

Basil Brush has obviously chosen well. In that second photo he looks as though he needs some good food. Happy Anniversary - love the photo of your Mum - you look a lot like her. Loe all the quilting and the foxies.

Jenny said...

Happy Anniversary to you both!!!
And another ginger boy - how do they know to come to your house? He looks lovely, and so friendly, do hope he stays with you.
Not long till your holiday in the South Island - are you getting excited?

Allie-oops Designs said...

Aw Basil is adorable!! He does resemble Boris, so who knows? Your Blue Ted is darling, and I love Pinky Purple!! My kitty still isn't finished, lol. Foxy's are adorable!
Been thinking of the families in Fl. also, these shootings started after they totally cut the funding for dealing with mental illness. That was on the state level as well. There will always be evil - we know that - just wish they'd arm teachers like they do in Israel. So many schools have metal detectors, not sure how this guy got in.
And of course, the FBI and local law enforcement totally dropped the ball on this one as well. They all knew about him and what he was going to do.

Allie-oops Designs said...

Forgot to say - LOVE the pic of your beautiful mum!!!!!!!!!

Carol Mattingly said...

Oh how I can't wait to get my foxy. Thank you ever so much Jean for making it. I am so thrilled. I love the two sitting together. Have fun on your trip and be safe and healthy. Carol

Fundy Blue said...

Happy Wedding Anniversary to you and Hugh, Jean! If I'm doing the math right that's 56 years! That calls for a big congratulations!!! Your Mum looks so happy, so she must have been pleased with your choice in a partner. Basil Brush is very cute. He knows a good deal when he finds one. People who abandon pets make me very angry. Love your teddy, kitty, and two foxys. Foxies??

I can't even begin to tell you how much the Parkland situation upsets me. I keep asking what is it going to take to bring about change to gun laws here in the US. I know that the rest of the world is looking at our country in horror, and rightfully so. Keeping my students safe was utmost in my mind every day, and unfortunately I had to think about guns and lockdowns, practice them with my children, and try to comfort them about events that were inexplicable and inexcusable. I heard a very powerful, female student speaker at an anti-gun rally today ~ just 17 and a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Perhaps the upcoming generation will be able to combat what we seem to be unable to accomplish.

Take care! Love and hugs to you!

Leeanne said...

Congratulations on a long and hopefully a happy marriage. It's something to celebrate these days. Basil and Boris look like fine friends, what adventures they will have. Cute Foxes.

Cheryl said...

Both kitties are so cute!

Jim said...

Loving your new kitty, Basil Brush!! He hit the jackpot!!

Sharon - IN said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm sorry I'm so late to your blog to share good wishes. Sounds like you are having an adventurous trip!

Sandra Walker said...

The two foxes you made are adorable, as are Basil and Boris...maybe he IS a brother since Boris is tolerant of him. Just love that first photo with him posing like that!

Tanya said...

Basil is a beauty and you are fortunate that he and Boris get along! So many times there is a cat fight just running across each other in the yard. I hope we see more pictures of the two handsome felines!