Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Monday 31 December 2018

The Dream, The Reality, and The New Year


So 2018 comes to an end, for some of us a busy time, Happiness, family and friends,  others with sadness, losses through the year, and health problems.

Here, we continue to unpack more boxes, and think about the garden.A blank canvas right now, I dream of how it will be this time next year.

The Gossamer  Grass in a pot looks good, even if very lonely. Maybe it will divide, and get some friends to look like this later on.


Gossamer Grass in a pot

Gossamer Grass fronds

We cleared away part of the garden  over to the back left of the grass, and I  found a little red brick edging. Maybe we can continue this right round the front. This part will get filled with bulbs and plants that are also in pots now, some hostas will find a shady place down the side of the house, sheltered by a grey fence.Solomon’s Seal, Day Lilies, and lots more will get planted tomorrow.

The Brick edging


The Japanese Maple is thriving in a pot,and has those pale green leaves already.



Japanese Maple in a pot

Boris is allowed outside on a lead, but growls, and looks longingly at the front gate and the street!!! He is shut in at night, and I think we will continue this. Other cats have visited, and early this morning a very tame younger black and white cat stared at me by the kitchen window.


Boris slowly adjusting to a new home

As we leave 2018 tonight, I wish all my friends, near and far, a very Happy New Year, with love  close by. Courage to face 2019, will power to finish those projects, and time to start new ones.For those of us who have a cat, a dog, a horse, a llama,  a duck or two or more, a donkey,  or even a snake or two, let 2019 be kind to them as well.

Quotation of the day,author unknown

“Best Wishes to every friend, for the year ahead.

May the sunshine of happiness always shine above you.

May the Dove of Peace rest over you and live in your home.

May the dense forest of love surround you all the year.”

Greetings from Jean,

22 comments:

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Happy New Year Jean, many blessings to you and yours for 2019. Enjoy making your new home and garden "yours".

Out To Pasture said...

Happy New Year to you, Jean. And thank you for all your faithful comments. They are very much appreciated. How exciting to plan, plant and watch grow your new gardens. New Zealand is a gardner's paradise!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jean,
I wish you Boris and your family much happiness in your new home. I am sure you will have the garden looking beautiful. Happy New Year!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Have a wonderful 2019 settling into your new home and creating new garden spaces.

Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Have a wonderful 2019, and a safe New Year's Eve1

Tish Stemple said...

A year from now where will be all be? The possibilities are endless and the hope is great! May your garden be blooming in no time and sweet Boris adapt to his new life <3 Happy New Year, Jean!!!

Allie said...

Oh sweetie I'm so glad you're in your new home, your garden is going to be lovely!!! I wish you every happiness in the new year!!!!

Kate said...

Happy New Year, may it be everything you hope for.

Kathleen said...

Nancy, what a love quote to start the year. Happy New Year to you!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Happy New Year, Jean, and best wishes for a wonderful 2019!

Carol Mattingly said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR Jean and Hugh. So happy to see you are thriving in your new home and already planning your beautiful yard. Have a wonderful 2019 and best wishes to you and yours. Carol

Lori Skoog said...

Your garden is going to be beautiful! You certainly have been busy. Happy New Year and let it bring good health and happiness to you and your family. I really appreciate all your comments!

Mystic Quilter said...

Glad to hear you're settling in!
I think Boris being a totally indoor cat is a good move, we had to take this step with Leila, she was never allowed out after 4.00pm but we had so many attacks from neighbourhood cats which meant many vet visits and meds and surgery that we had to take drastic action. She now has a cat patio - I'll post photos soon.
I'd be interested to know how you were able to have him used to a lead/harness Jean.
Wishing you all the very best for a happy and healthy New Year 2019.

Susan Heather said...

Jean - I love that quote. I am sure you will have a great time making your new garden. Wishing you health and happiness for 2019 and beyond.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Happy New Year Jean, how nice to get to know you! Best of luck with your new home and I can't wait to see you setup in your new studio. Boris is adorable! v

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your tree and grass look healthy and will probably do so well in your new space! I hope you get all of your new home and space just the way you want! And I hope Borris stays close to home!
Wishing you a blessed and happy New Year!

What Karen Sees said...

Stopping by to wish you a marvelous 2019! I've spent some time catching up with your blog posts, looking at your pictures and I especially love your quilting posts and when I get a glimpse of my beloved NZ! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I appreciate it so much!!

KB said...

Happy 2019 to you. I feels so happy that you are now making a new home. Your maple looks absolutely gorgeous. I have no doubt that you'll grow gorgeous gardens, all in good time. I hope that Boris stays close to home, safe and sound.

Our photos said...

All the best wishes for 2019 ! I am reallt curious how your garden will look in about a year !

Jenn Jilks said...

You are a faithful visitor!
Good work on Boris. Daisy is still in. We shall see what happens.
A whole new garden to play in! How exciting! xx

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What beautiful words! So happy you are settling into your new home, Jean. It is invigorating, isn't it. And sorting out your garden too...exciting. I hope 2019 will be a most wonderful year for you and Hugh.

Fundy Blue said...

I'm thinking Boris looks pretty comfortable in his new home! Cats have comfort cornered. I look forward to seeing your gardens, Jean. In Nova Scotia hosts run amok. Take care!