Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Sunday 27 October 2013

At the Petrol Station

ducks  and the bike

My  day began with coffee, and  a cool breeze. One phone call, patient enquiry asked 2 questions, then I was transferred to the ward.

Its very early, would you like to talk to your friend? I’ll take the  phone down, this is an exception”. Yes, 8.15 a.m. the ward rounds must have been all over, and we chatted. this might be the very best phone call I have had, and lifted my heart up high.

Then we drove to Hawke Bay on NZ’s North Island East Coast. It was so hot!!! I had worn fleece clothes, and roasted, 24C.  over there!!! Nothing remarkable to photograph, until we stopped for petrol on the way home.

These ducks seemed quite unaware of the danger they were in, cars, bikes and other vehicles all coming in to fill up the petrol tanks. They ambled along, and probably quite sure they were safe, as everyone passed so slowly.   This photo, they were very close to me.

ducks waiting

Quotation of the day from Toby Keith ( Every Dog Has Its Day),

“ One moment in the sunshine when your ducks lined up in a row”

Greetings from Jean

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

cute little guys.

Carol Mattingly said...

Glad you had a good phone call. These little ducks are so adorable. Tak to you soon, Carol

Linda said...

Awwwww....what lovely photos, Jean! I love ducks, and you just made my day. Hugs to you. :)

Karen said...

What cute ducks! An odd location for them though!

Barb said...

Your friend is having a long hospital stay. Hugs to you as you are worrying, I know. Great duck photo!

Jim said...

Probably looking for some food Jean from the passers by.
Nice that you were able to chat to your friend. I am sure they were happy to hear from you.
Nothing remarkable to photograph maybe but the temperature sounds pretty remarkable to us here! It was 8C today. But we a tough lot here in Nova Scotia!! Br-r-r-r!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What cuties!! A large flock of geese were crossing the 4 lane road in front of me today, and I wish they would have realized what danger they were in too!

fromsophiesview said...

Magnificent looking ducks they are and so close for you to capture....quite remarkable. Glad you got some good news about your friend. Makes tings seem a bit more lighter when good news is in the air. As the saying says "every dog has it's day" and Sophie did today playing with a new male farm dog.

Ron

Nancy J said...

Thank you all for your lovely words. Hugh is improving leaps and bounds, just not literally, crutches almost hidden away!!! My friend might come home this week. Very cool days up North, if/when I visit will bring double layer Merino!!!Take care, wrap up warm, fond greetings from Jean. p.s. I know Hugh is lots better, I don't get to ride the quad these days!!!

Lindsjö taxar said...

Hi!
THe ducks must be on the wrong road :-)
Hope they fond their way to the pond

Nancy J said...

The water would have been so far away, and to think this was all the photos I managed in a whole day out. I'm sure they were safe there. Cheers, Jean.

Nancy said...

Happy you received good news about your friend and

those ducks must have heard the petrol prices were lower that day. :)