Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Sunday 3 May 2020

Happenings since the first day of Lockdown

I look back at the weeks since March 17th, the last time I went out, apart from a visit to the Doctor for our Flu vaccinations. We are all coping in our own way the best we can, and down here in New Zealand, I think we are safer than many countries.
I didn't think I had achieved much at all, but can see some sewing has been finished.
A lot of fleece hats and merino neck warmers.
Some of these for family, and some to go further south where the winters are much colder than where we live.
Next on the list was new curtains, not a favourite task, and not the fabric I wanted, but as all material, furnishing and other places are shut, I used what I had. They
are lined, and will do meantime. Boris curled up on his red fleece blanket!!
Then along came the latest QAL with Sandra over at mmm quilts, where we can join in another wonderful yearly event. This year the quilt is named " Centred"  and we are up to the second set of blocks. I thought I had ample. well , a huge stash,  and plenty to choose from....
Blue batiks, there were 20 pieces, green, 14, colours, pink and purple,8, 6 mauve, and 3 large dark fabrics.








So how was it that I chose some teal colours,  with a dash of a multi yellow/orange for the highlight. The pieces were cut, and waited to mature for a week, then Block A started to take shape. Moxy had to be in the fun, and the well arranged pieces were all muddled up so quickly.


Next, we had Block B, and the whole picture was all falling into place perfectly.
Looking at Sandra's post, I can now see how we will put this together. Hop over to her on Instagram, and see the stunning arrangement in different colours. I am inspired to do another at the same time, using maybe 4 shades, and one main one for the centre. Again, so many thanks Sandra, this is always so much fun, we all need a heap of that right now.
We are well, somewhat constrained by the lockdown, and at Alert Level 3 with less restrictions, so many people are gathering too close, some have had parties, some have been cautioned, or arrested, and I made the ultimate sacrifice for anyone with special sewing scissors.
YES, I had to trim my hair at the front, and used my very favourite Mundial scissors. I fear they will not be the same again, and might just have to order another pair online.We do so much online n ow, internet banking, grocery orders, and buying what we need when those places are not open to the public.
But like all things, this too will pass. I see so many have been innovative, tidying, using scraps, designing and planning, and I hope you all stay safe and well.
Quotation of the day, author unknown
                                     " Home is a  refuge, 
                       the safe harbour where we can set the anchors, 
                      and hold fast to those in our families and friends ,
                                     everywhere"
Greetings from Jean


27 comments:

Susan Heather said...

You have been so productive during lockdown. I assume that you did not venture out to Countdown. Keep safe.

Kate said...

You have certainly had a constructive time. Your sewing scissors are probably fine. They are much tougher than we were lead to believe. However, don't let me stop you from ordering a new pair, if you want to.

Karen said...

Good to see you have kept yourself busy! Stay safe and well.

Cheers,
Karen, Pixel Posts

Out To Pasture said...

Enjoyed your colourful post with all your handiwork on display. Loved your pictures of ginger boys Boris and Moxie. I wonder if Moxie has a slight Siamese meow. Years ago I ordered hair dressing scissors. They've stayed razor sharp and I only get my hair cut at home. Glad to know that New Zealand is coping well with this horrid pandemic!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jean,

You have been busy, I love sweet Boris and Moxy. I am glad you are safe and doing well. The material and quilt blocks are pretty. Home is a refuge for us all. Take care! Have a great day and a happy new week!

Jane said...

Glad to see you are keeping busy, Jean. That is a very striking quilt you are making. Can't wait to see how it will look finished. You must have a nice fabric stash. Hope your hair turned out how you wanted it to!

Hugs
Jane

Inger said...

It's so good to hear from you first of all. Then, I believe that creative people, like you, fare better during the stay at home mandates. Your materials are so beautiful and you are so talented. And the kitty is adorable.

Allie said...

You have REALLY been productive, girl! Love the fleeces and well done on the curtains - my most hated job, lol! I adore the batiks and the colors and how that quilt is shaping up, so pretty.
I bought some special hair cutting scissors years ago, and they're just as sharp as they ever were. I've mostly always cut my own hair, and I used to cut my boys' hair.
Stay warm hon, and safe - as they say, this might pass like a kidney stone but it will pass. I must say I LOVE having my groceries delivered - this might become a new normal for me!!!!

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done! GOod job making do.You do such beautiful work!
I changed a ball cap to a visor today! I'm so proud. You'd laugh at my crooked stitching.
I cut my hair, too. It's not bad, all things considered. I do have proper hair scissors from when I used to trim Annabelle! I used the shears, too!
We are safe. The girls arrive tomorrow for another Gramma Camp.
Take care! So happy to read your post. xxxxx

Barb said...

Good to see a post from you, Jean! I'm glad you're staying home and keeping well. Bob and I are isolating,too. We do miss family, but are not willing to expose ourselves. Our state is opening restrictions slowly, but we remain masked and gloved when we're outside, trying to keep a safe distance from people. I cut my bangs this AM - they were really bugging me! I think I told you that our grandson, Ben, was supposed to go to the S Island on a National Geographic photo tour. I'm imaging that will be cancelled. Hugs to you from Colorado!

Jenny said...

You certainly have been busy at the sewing machine, that's quite an impressive tally. Curtain making, uggs, no my favourite sewing job either, but you did it, congratulations! Nice to see photos of your two furry friends too. Take care, stay safe and well.

Carol Mattingly said...

Hello Jean. Hope you guys are good over in New Zealand. The States have been hit hard by the virus and we are not quite out of quarantine. I did work while we were quarantined so I didn't have to draw unemployment. I feel so bad for so many people. I wanted to share a story with you. I was talking to my sister, JoAnn, a few weeks ago and she said she stopped in to see her granddaughter, Emma, and Emma was carrying around a fox. JoAnn asked her where did she get that fox and Emma said Carrie, that's my nickname. She plays with that fox you made her all the time. And my niece loves that it came from you. I just wanted you to know that. Thank you ever so much for that. Be safe, be healthy. Carol

Julie Fukuda said...

I've never done a quilt-along. It seems like a fun adventure with all those pretty batiks you pulled out. I find I can just stay inside so long, and I have to get out... even if it is to sweep the street.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I'm sure I've been sewing more than I think during this time as well. Your version of Centered looks great, I like the yellow/orange highlight. Be well!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great colors on your Centered quilt. It seems NZ has done a much better job of containing than the US. We are staying home for probably much longer than the state will mandate. It is just safer to continue to shelter in place, and work on projects around the house for a while longer. Stay well!

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Glad to see you are well and keeping busy. Moxy looks so unimpressed by the photo opportunity haha. Perhaps she does not like to be outclassed by your lovely fabrics and Sandra's quilt. She is a pretty colour too, you may give her an extra pat from me and tell her that.
Hopefully things in NZ will get more normal for you very soon. I know you have been very proactive about getting on top of this dreadful virus. Stay safe!

The Padre said...

How Delightful - The Kiddy Cracked Me Up - Missing Spring And Summer Festivals As The Batiks, Tye Dye, And Crafts Are Eye Catching - Well, People Watching In General - Also, I So Respect And Adore Your Prime Minister Jacinda - BCV She Was A Guest On Steven Colbert Show And I Was Captivated By Her Demeanor - Sure Wish I Was A Kiwi Instead Of An Embarrassed American - Have A Wonderful Week And Stay Creative

Cheers

Kathleen said...

Glad you are doing well in NZ! Maine is just beginning to reopen but slowly and there are all sorts of cautions and changes daily as we navigate the new normal. Your Centred blocks look great! I am enjoying doing this, QAL and the pace is perfect!

Sharon - IN said...

My! you have been productive! I'm so glad you are making it safely through Lock Down. We just entered what our Governor is calling Stage 2. Hubs and I are heading out to a nursery to pick up plants he ordered. This will be my first trip out since mid March. Your Centred blocks look great in Batiks! Stay Well!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I'm glad to hear you are staying safe, those are beautiful batiks that you picked out for your QAL. Sewing curtains isn't a favorite of mine either!

Sandra Walker said...

Once again such an à propos quotation. Jean, your new curtains turned out beautifully! I saw them first (because Boris!) and thought they were store bought! And OH-!! How I love the batiks you are using for your quilt! You have such a wonderful eye for colour. Stay safe my friend and warm. All good up here; our weather could be a little warmer is all. we are still locked down. Just opened garden centres Monday for curbside pickup but all other stores except for grocery are shut.

KB said...

You are amazing, Jean! The colors are stunning - I always love the colors of the things that you make :) I have read that NZ has done super well with lockdown in terms of reducing infection. I am happy for you!

Tanya said...

Ooh, your fabric colors are so beautiful!

Good to see Moxy and Boris enjoying themselves!

Linda said...

Your Centred blocks are lovely! I've seen others on Instagram, and it looks like a fun project. Love your kitties. :)

Dee said...

Dear Jean, given just what you displayed for us here, I'm thinking that your quilt is going to be lovely. A stunner!

As to the COVID-19 lock-down here and there in New Zealand and throughout our global community, I;ve been able to get news from a website I visit about the number in every country of those infected and those who have died. Like Germany with its female leader, New Zealand (with yours) is so admirable. We here in the states have not had good leadership from our federal government and so many (more than 73,000 people) have died and nearly 1/3 of those infected worldwide are in the United States. It's disheartening. But still, most of us here are hunkering down and trying to do our part to keep others and ourselves safe.

Take care. And please show us that quilt when you've completed it. Peace.

Our photos said...

Very nice !

Fundy Blue said...

Since I'm headed backwards, I already know your beautiful result, Jean! Boris and Moxy certainly have a fine life. No worries for them. Our home is certainly proving to be a safe harbor. Hugs to you, my friend!