Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Saturday 18 February 2023

2023 in New Zealand, January and February

 The New Year started as normal, but in January,Hugh had a bad fall, nothing broken,  he is fine now, I had one visit to ED with angina, not too serious, home after one night, life continued. 

Early February, Cyclone Gabrielle was north of New Zealand, tracking her way south. The met office kept a close eye on her travels, and   gave an estimated arrival here. 

The cyclone was downgraded to an ex-tropical cyclone. 

The rain came, gale winds, Northland and Auckland received deluge after deluge, on the West Coast two volunteer firefighters lost their lives, attending to a callout.

12 February, a National State of Emergency was called. 

This gives Government the power to call on so many other services to assist. Further resources can be used and priorities set in support of a national level response. Army,Navy, Airforce,   and more.

The cyclone travelled south, and caused incomprehensible damage. Flooding, homes totally destroyed, the Hawkes Bay region, where my Mum lived for some years when they travelled here from Scotland, has been hit the hardest. So far 9 lives lost, stock gone, roads destroyed, homes filled with silt and debris and harrowing tales of loss and survival.No power, no water, no cell phone coverage, the Navy ships are arriving at Napier Port and a little further north with supplies, generators, food and water. Helicopters are delivering food and medical supplies to places further out that have no way of travelling.

One family lost their 2 year old daughter, a man lost his 3 precious dogs, as he assisted another family to move horses to a safer area. Many more stories that are way too sad to read or post.





Some photos from the Internet. My friend Maureen in Auckland and I talked this morning, and know how fortunate we are to have had no damage, we can look out our windows, talk to our friends,

One friend has just sent me a txt to say he is safe, another posted on Facebook that he was safe too.

Amid all this our 61st Wedding Anniversary came, and went. I truly could not bring myself to celebrate in the current situation elsewhere.

Quotation of the day, from  lyrics in " The Living Years "

 by B  A Robertson and Mike Rutherford

"....  I  just wish I could have told him in the living years ...

Say it now,  say it loud, say it clear,..."

Greetings from Jean

18 comments:

Kate said...

Glad you are safe. So so4y to hear about the other areas.

Susan Heather said...

It is horrendous. I don't know how they will deal with all that silt and the red and yellow stickered homes.

Nancy J said...

In all of this devastation, I forgot to mention the 6.0 or 6.3 earthquake, ( some sites have a variation in the strength) on 15th February, just after 7.30 p.m. 50km deep, in a straight line about 120 km from us. It shook and rattled for over half a minute, They say to take cover, but I managed 3 steps and had to hold onto the door handle.Over 60,000 felt reports to Geonet.org.nz .

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I am glad you are safe, the flooding looks awful. It is sad to hear about the loss of lives and the critters too. Happy Belated Anniversary. The Living Years song is one of my favorites. Take care, have a happy day and great new week!

Marie Smith said...

Glad you, your friends and family came through the cyclone as you did. It sounds like the response of government has been good. Take care.

Jenny said...

The cyclone had left tremendous damage, so many houses lost, lives turned upside down. Plus all the damage to roads, bridges, railway tracks, farms and businesses. It would be bad enough if it was in just one area, but the damage is so wide spread. Where oh where do the authorities start? We felt the earthquake in Christchurch, our NZMCA camp was on "red zoned land" formerly a housing subdivision destroyed in the big earthquake, so that was a worry. Then we found out the E/Q was centered in the North Island.

Barb said...

Happy belated anniversary, Jean and Hugh. I didn't realize the turbulent weather you've been having. My friend and her husband just had a month's stay in NZ. She arrived home before the deluge and earthquake. Stay safe and well. Barb

Jane said...

Glad to read you are safe, Jean! So many tragedies happening in the world these days, we must be thankful for each day. Hope good health returns to you and Hugh soon!

Hugs
Jane

Carol Mattingly Photography said...

I am so glad to hear you are ok Jean. Take care of you and Hugh. I saw the cyclone hit New Zealand. I checked the map to make sure you were not near it. I'm sure the weather was not great though. Carol

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Jean! I'm glad that you and Hugh are doing okay after your health events, Cyclone Gabrielle, and an earthquake. I think we're feeling the effects of climate change all over the globe. The loss of life everywhere is tragic Happy 61st Anniversary. Congratulations on a long and happy life together. Wishing you more happy years together! Hugs to you!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

So glad to see a post from you after hearing on other blogs about the devastation from the cyclone. Can't believe you had an earthquake too! Mercy! Hope all is well after that.

Jenn Jilks said...

I wondered how things were going. What a mess over there. Stay safe! XX

DUTA said...

Such a sad contrast between the peaceful picture in the header, and the damage left by the cyclone! People seem to be completely helpless in their facing Nature's fury.

Kathleen said...

Glad you are safe and Hugh was not badly injured in his fall. What a year it has been for some ares...I am so sorry that so many have experienced such loss and devastation.

Tanya said...

It is good to know you are safe. Yes, sometimes the news gets so sad that I can't bear to read/see what is going on in the world. I know it is a head in the sand reaction but all the suffering wrenches my heart.

Inger said...

I'm so glad that you and Hugh are safe. I don't have TV, but I read the Washington Post every morning and I didn't know about this awful event. I'm afraid there will be more and more huge storms, fires, and as we have had close by here in the Sierra Nevada mountains, 12 feet of snow falling in a couple of days. Take care and again, I'm so glad you are safe and so sorry about the storm damage.

Sharon - IN said...

I'm so glad you and Hugh are safe after recent events. Hope you are both up and moving and doing well. So sorry about the cyclone that affected so many.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well I can still congratulate you for 61 amazing years!