Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Song from The Baby

 

The start of this is shaky, as I tried to get more comfortable, if that was possible, at ground level,  on the edge of the lawn and the concrete edging. He was not fazed at all, and sang away as he tried to get his Mum or Dad to listen. Shortly afterwards, he flew, or fluttered his wings and managed to find his way to a patch of blackberry bush on the other side of the stream.I guess he found Mum, as the chirping stopped. I was so glad, as I am not quite ready to foster a baby bird right now!!!

The cabbage tree flowers and berries are a great source of food for many birds, and the creamy tufts shake and wobble as the birds settle in, find their tucker, and fly away.

 

Cabbage Tree flowers 

 

sunlight 013

I have always thought this is the flower of a Clematis Climber, but after searching for it in a  huge New Zealand Gardening Book, am not sure. Any identification will be very thankfully appreciated.

I have just heard that Mt Tongariro erupted briefly this afternoon, no known casualties  according to the news, a 2 km plume of ash and cloud, photos and videos on the news and internet. We are a good distance away, 2  groups of school pupils are all safely off the Mountain, no doubt full of a story about “ We were  close- by  when  it happened!!!”

Quotation of the day, unknown author

“Nobody trips over mountains.

It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble.

Pass all the pebbles in your path,

and you will find you have crossed the mountain”

Greetings from Jean

14 comments:

Susan Heather said...

Pleased he found his mum. I thought that was a Clematis as well.

Drizzle all day here.

Nancy J said...

Hi Susan, glad too. very hot here and Yes, I thought it was a clematis but didn't see anything to match it in the garden book.Cheers from Jean

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Hi Jean

Yes it is a clematis but not a NZ native.
Little bird so cute.
Glynn actually saw the eruption.he was so pleased he was in the right place at the right moment
Cheers
Linda

Ali Honey said...

Yes Jean that's a clematis called Nelly Moser. ( an early flowering montana type. )
Greetings from Ali.

Nancy J said...

Thank you all, lovely to have a name and know it is really a clematis. I looked it up, and yes, the roots are in a very shaded place, hidden under iris, and small agapanthus, but now I know for sure what it is and which type, many thanks Ali, I can move it to where it will show its beauty so much better. Cheers from Jean

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a sweet baby, so glad he found his Mum. That was a good little video.

That clematis is lovely and I'm glad you now have the name of it.

I enjoyed your quote at the end too.

Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

Georgia said...

I feel like that baby sometimes~chirping but nobody doing anything about it!

Nancy J said...

Thanks Lorraine, a bit shaky, I am going to try and use Vimeo instead of Youtube, I might/need,to be able to use some editing. Georgia, the saying is the squeaky wheel gets the oil.Make lots of phone calls, ask lots of questions, and if necessary ask for assistance in whatever area you need .Greetings from Jean

Lindsjö taxar said...

How qute, good he found his family...great serie yyou deliver in the post before.
Glad you live far away.....

Michaele said...

I always love coming here and seeing spring. The last quote was great - I have never read that one.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I'm glad and will also hop that little baby bird found his way!

I love Clematis--I've had pretty good luck with it here in Virginia, and it's just like you said, it likes 'cool feet and warm sun!'

Jim said...

Just got confirmation from my 'in-house' clematis expert, that being Ron, that the blossom you show is a 'Nelly Moser' clematis blossom.

So glad to hear that your little friend was found!

Gayle said...

I would think an erupting volcano would be very scary. Glad the children got away safely.

Here I Am Carrie said...

What we put our bodies through to get just the right angle on a photo. I love your little bird tweeting. You must have been so thrilled. What a contrast your world is now to mine. I did send you an e-mail hope you got it this time. I had sent you one a couple months ago with my e-mail address, perhaps you never got it.