Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Saturday 14 February 2015

A Little Bit of This and That

 

The days merge into each-other. Medication schedules, doctor’s visits, hospital appointments, phone calls to see if, when, will the referral ever be sent!!! Family visit,from the far south. I sit outside with younger daughter, I’m  huddled up in fleece jacket, collar pulled up high, warm slippers, fingers curled round the hot coffee mug.

“ Bit cool this morning”

“ Oh, this is just lovely, not cool at all”, and after Otago  weather which can be freezing in winter, cool in spring, so hot in mid-summer, and just right in autumn,  our days were welcome before they returned home.

A while ago we had a day out, one of the very few, and had lunch on the stones bordering the Manawatu River.

Manawatu River

By the bedroom patio, the Tibouchina  grandiflora tree is showing promise of so many blossoms, it is loaded with buds.This had a rough  start in life, it was planted in the open, was frosted, over and over,  till it almost died, We moved it, and for several years, it had a frost-proof veil every night, and sometimes all day. That has evidently saved this beautiful tree , and the extra effort was so valuable. The common name is Lasiandra.

It grows from this……

Tibouchina buds, Feb. 2015

To this…….

Tibouchina bud, almost open

To this……

Tibouchina  in full bloom

Quotation of the day, author unknown

“ Distance is no match

for the love of friends and family”

Greetings from Jean

18 comments:

Linda said...

Gorgeous, Jean. We are expecting a blizzard here in Montreal Saturday. Thanks for sharing!

Julie Fukuda said...

Lovely tree that I have never see before. Is it native? Is it an evergreen?
I agree family time is always the best.

Susan Heather said...

I do hope things get sorted on the medical front.

I love the Lasiandra. The problem I tend to have is that the branches have a habit of breaking because of cicada damage. Usually as it is just about to flower. Yours looks wonderful.

Gayle said...

I'm so sorry for all your medical concerns with Hugh. It's such a tough road. Hope you find relief soon. {{hugs}}

eileeninmd said...

Lovely images, Jean! I love the river scene and the pretty flower.. We are expecting some super cold days ahead.. I love the quote, it is so true..Have a great weekend, happy Valentine's Day!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Glad you have had some lovely family time. That's important.

I love that tree, have it in my gardens too. It is still in a pot though as I've not really figured out where I want it.

At 7:32 EST, it is 47 degrees F and feels like it is 41. That is 'cold' for us down here in s.e. FL.

Love and hugs to you and Hugh on this Valentine's Day ~ FlowerLady

Carol Mattingly said...

Your quote is so appropriate for me right now as I'm far from my family and friends, but I have settled in and finally am coming out of my fog of exhaustion from moving. I wanted to thank you for all of your kind words Jean as they mean so much to me having to make this new journey in life. I hope for you and Hugh pain free days and blue skies with bright sunshine. Happy Valentine's Day to you and he. I love the beautiful flowers and so glald you saved that tree. Carol

TexWisGirl said...

oh, that tree is beautiful! glad you had a visit from your daughter. hoping things with doctors and tests will yield something useful...

Janet said...

I love how descriptive your writing is. I can see you sitting out there with your daughter. Looks like beautiful flowers are on their way into your life again. I also hope all the doctor involvement yields something.

Hannah said...

I used to see the lovely Tibouchina flowers in S. California, great to see yours. I'm glad you're not still suffering from the heat, it's so much easier to throw on a sweater. I wish for good health reports for your family, Happy Valentine's Day!

Jenny said...

Hi to you both. Keep hanging in there. Things have just got to get better!!

Best wishes from Jenny and Robin

Our photos said...

These flowers are wonderful !

Georgia said...

Your post projects a calm "day at a time" attitude. I hope you actually feel a little of that as days go by. Love and prayers. G

Leeanne said...

I love your new header photo, it feels like home when I look at that, thanks!

Fundy Blue said...

What a beautiful tree, Jean! I'm sorry that you are going through a tough time with your husband. I certainly know what it's like to support someone who has serious medical issues. No matter how much you want to be there for that person, it's wonderful and necessary to go out and do something normal like picnic beside a lovely river. I was just watching part one of the Lord of the Rings movies yesterday. Your country is breathtaking, and I long to visit it! Take care!

KB said...

It certainly was worth the effort to save that tree. It is beautiful. I've never seen one like it.

I'm glad you had a day out. The creek looks refreshing.

Allie said...

It's too cold here to be outside for more than a few minutes - too dangerous! Glad you had some time to sit by the river, that looks so peaceful....your tree is just stunning, so glad you could save it.

Jenn Jilks said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so glad you are posting these. They are a sight for sore eyes!
hugs from away!!!!