Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Monday 12 October 2015

Not one, not two, there are THREE

 

The other day I visited our friendly team at the timber and  hardware place. I needed foam insulation  sheets to make a design board. Well, there were 2 sheets, both not full length,  and one needed trimming.  Great price, so two were chosen. Delivered on Saturday,  ( Thanks so much, Rural Timber and Hardware ) I  found pale blue flannelette sheets that have had some use, had some bleach in places, and made huge pillowcase covers. I had to put tape on all the edges first,  and this shows in the photos. One small offcut, and I have a handy small board I can use by the machine

Two design boards

The One Block Wonders are  still in trial sashing stage, the new boards a perfect place to stand back and look. The next two  will have deep red, and dark blue as the diagonals from left to right, and a contrast still to be decided. Lots of half square triangles,maybe a good starting block for the scrappy log cabin  with         Allie at Allie -oops sweet happy life

One Block Wonder #1 and #2

Half Square Triangles

The firewood, another friend is coming to help, and progress is starting to show. Next year, we will be thankful for the trees, grown,  felled, cut,split, dried, and burnt for our comfort.

Quotation of the week, author unknown

 “ If Plan A doesn’t work,

the alphabet has  25 more letters”

Greetings from Jean

18 comments:

Allie said...

Oh Jean that's brilliant - what a beautiful design wall - bigger than mine! I love it!~ You are so going to enjoy that. Your blocks are just gorgeous, loving those batiks, girl!

Georgia said...

Love the quote today :) Sometimes I feel as if I've gotten down to about "Q". Have fun!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jean, the new boards are perfect for displaying your pretty blocks. I love the colors and design! I like that quote! Have a happy new week ahead!

camp and cottage living said...

I'd never thought of insulation for a design board, such a good idea Jean!
You can just slide it under a bed when it's not being used. Brilliant!

Carol Mattingly said...

What a project you have chosen. I could never do a quilt. I don't have the patience. So glad you are getting the firewood taken care of. Carol

TexWisGirl said...

so clever!!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a great idea! So good to see you being crafty, productive and doing it on the cheep! We are exhausted after our Thanksgiving!!!! xx

Leeanne said...

Awesome design walls. Your one block wonders looks just like a quilt I quilted for one of my lovely customers.

The Furry Gnome said...

We used blue foam insulation for my wife's design board - it's 6' wide by 8' high, and she uses it all the time. I presume you'll be whipping up many more new quilts with that available to help you work put the designs.

Fundy Blue said...

I'm laughing at that quote, Jean! It never works at Plan A!!! I'm having fun watching your beautiful quilts emerging! I hope your ear is feeling better. Have a happy week!

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Your batik blocks are so pretty. I really need to start using my batik stash.

It would be so nice to have a design wall of any kind, but I just don't have the room...my design floor works pretty well. (Living room floor. :) )

Jim said...

LOVE that quote!
And what a good idea for a design board, Jean!
things are moving along I see.
Have a wonderful week.

Lorna McMahon said...

Your new design wall looks fantastic, Jean! I miss my design wall since I moved to a new sewing space. But I still use the wall down the hall, on occasion. Your One Block Wonder blocks are looking fabulous, too. We burn wood here also. And our wood room isn't full yet. Thanks for the reminder!

Cheryl said...

Your design wall looks great. I only have one insulation board for a design wall due to space and it is always too small so I usually wind up using my floor.

Nancy J said...

The design wall, I used two boards, each 1.2 metres wide, or 47 inches. The normal length is 2.4 metres, but these were offcuts, or damaged. they could be cut as narrow as you wanted them, it does leave a jagged edge, that was why I taped all round, and this made it easier to slide them into the covers, and if shorter, could go into a wardrobe when not in use. Or under the bed as there is cotton sheeting on the other side. The blocks look so different when put there, and I am standing further away.

Hannah said...

I admire people with the skill and patience to do quilting, Jean. Your design wall looks like a great tool. Quilting takes so much imagination, there are so many ways to arrange the blocks and so many possible color combinations. I hope your ear is better, when I get little painful bumps I put some tea tree or argan oil on them.

Sue said...

What a good idea having a design board. Love your quote!!

Janet said...

A design board is a wonderful thing!! I love how you are putting the half square triangles together and can't wait to see more on the big design wall. Looks like your plan B or C or whichever it was turned out well.