Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Friday 20 December 2019

I can see "The End " is in sight

At last the walls are all painted, waiting for a sunny day to get some photos.We have had rain and cold mornings and nights.
The sewing is almost all done, 3 shrugs/ponchos/ or some other new name have been done in a huge hurry and sent off to the far south, as  our younger daughter  recovers from shoulder surgery.
The flowers continue to bloom, some  were getting wind blown and had to be saved from the outside weather. We planted about 40 Gladioli, and they are all starting to bloom.




The Hollyhocks are still growing taller, another white one is in flower, and a beautiful pink has these gorgeous colours.




This tall one has white flowers, difficult to see against the grey sky.


There is a bee feeding on the pink forget-me-not.





A friend who lives in the Bay of Plenty grows Day Lilies, and some years ago I had this one, thought it was lost, and yesterday it had a huge bud.That wonderful deep colour.Burgundy maybe?


Then, just look at this, the dust sheets are off, the motor is ready to be wired up again, and the " Red Snappers" are waiting. I am hoping the sparky can alter the handles and have them at the needle end. If all fails, I will try the Bernina there, knowing I will be able to do only very small items.

We will have  a very quiet Christmas, one daughter has been up and gone home, the other will come down after New Year. I am hoping Grandson will take all the northern  parcels with him  on the 24th. Baking still to do, and the library needs a visit, time to put my feet up with a good book handy.

Quotation of the day, from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, in 1877,

" The holiest of all holidays  are those
Kept by ourselves in silence and apart:
The secret anniversaries of the heart.

Greetings from Jean












15 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

I love all of the flower photos. They are making me dream of Spring and I can't wait for that to happen. It's been very cold the last two days. But next week Christmas week it's supposed to be in the 60's. Weird weather. Sounds like you have been very busy. Carol

Leeanne said...

Gorgeous flowers....sounds like a lovely quiet stress free holiday.

Susan Heather said...

I particularly like that pink hollyhock.

Out To Pasture said...

Your flowers are just beautiful, Jean! The honey bee feeding on the Forget-Me-Nots is my favourite. Glad your renovation projects are finalizing and quilting will soon return full tilt. Also happy to see your blogging/picture posting/computer wrangling is successful.

Kate said...

Your flowers are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. It makes me feel warmer.

Jenny said...

Your gladdies are magnificent Jean, they were a favourite of my Mother. Hope your machine can be set to rights, then there will be no stopping you!

Barb said...

Jean, you've made my day with your colorful flower photos! My M-i-L's favorite flower was the gladioli. My grandson may be visiting NZ S Island in July on a group trip of teens. Happy Holidays to you. Quiet is good.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Again a feast for my eyes to see your lovely blooms, Jean, as my world is white once more. But snow for Christmas is expected here and it looks like it will be cold enough to keep what we have. Except for the Christmas Day meal at Daughter's house, it is quiet for us too. But that suits us too.

Catsngrams said...

New to your blog but love it.

Julie Fukuda said...

When hollyhocks get that tall you need binoculars to see the flowers. That is the tallest I have ever seen. When I was a kid, we used to trap bees in the hollyhock flowers. I have been told I took one bee to my mother to see saying, "Look at the pretty flower walking!"

Kathie said...

Your flowers were a welcome sight!

The Furry Gnome said...

Is that a long arm machine I see, almost ready for using? I can imagine that you're pretty excited waiting for it to be hooked up. Mrs. F.G. Is really enjoying her new machine, although it's a good deal smaller than that one!

Our photos said...

Love the Gladioli. It's nice to read finally "the end" is in sight ! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !

Jenn Jilks said...

It's been a long reno. I'm so happy for you, dear friend. xx

Fundy Blue said...

I hope by now that you are spending happy hours using your long-armed quilter, my friend! Your flowers are gorgeous! Longfellow is right the holiest of holidays are the secret anniversaries of the heart.