Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Saturday 9 July 2022

The Finishing Line. !!!

 At last I can focus on my laptop, and see letters more clearly. New glasses  left side lenses will make this even better in about 6 weeks.

Thursday began with a very early breakfast, who wants to eat Sultana Bran and have a smidgen of coffee at 6.a.m.? It was a very wet windy start, and we decided to leave home at 6.45 a.m. giving plenty of time in case of road problems.  Just one lot of road works , so we arrived before the 7.30 scheduled time. 

Into the Day Surgery Unit, all particulars taken, and into the room with the Lazyboy chairs, red non slip socks, a blue   hairnet, and of all colours, a yellow plastic cape with long sleeves.  This goes on over your own clothes. By this time the eye drops had really worked and everything  was a blur.

The lovely surgeon visited each of us in turn as we waited.  Next thing, I was wheeled off into the theatre. An additional 5 theatre staff I think, position your head on the rest, get it fastened tightly so you cannot move,  and a tube with oxygen and air under the blanket, blood pressure cuff and oxygen meter on one finger. Then the anaesthetic drops started. A second lot, then some pain.By this time I should have not been able to feel anything.More drops, I could feel them on my eye.Then another type, 2 lots, and total numbness!!

My surgeon talked quietly as she said what was happening, a small slit, then a hum, then a bit later, " That's half the cataract out " . Did I mention that she is from Spokane, Washington ?? We were all so fortunate to be seen by her before an  extended leave to see family. A little later, with some water dropped in, more humming,  and looking at the light all the time, orange and yellow blur,  I was ready for the new lens to be implanted. 

I didn't know that the lens had little "wings" guess there is a proper technical term for the side pieces, and each eye has to be measured in width, height and also depth before the lens is made.



The cut had to be sealed, then all done. The theatre table was titled, so it sat me up.Warm blanket, back to recover with coffee and biscuits.

Lots of instructions, and home with 2 lots of drops.  No bending, no sleeping on that side, no lifting anything heavy , so I have abandoned our bed and am sleeping on the sofa in the lounge, where I cannot turn onto my left side. Even our cat Boris knows something is strange, 

Friday, I returned to the Opthalmology Clinic to have my eye checked, and behold!! The pressure is too high, so another type of drop for 3 days.

NOW, I am only the second person in 18 years that my surgeon said that type of local anaesthetic didn't work.How odd is that!!! So if I need anything else in either eye, Lidocaine is the #1 and only choice. 

Next check up in 4 to 6 weeks, by which time I should have my full driver's Licence posted to me.

New left lenses in both distance and reading glasses in 6 weeks, then Hooray, I will be back to sewing again.

Whanganui Hospital, your Day Theatre staff , from the front door and all others, are all truly wonderful, so caring, For those in the theatre that I did not see, a huge thank you. 

Quotation of the day, author unknown

 " You do not miss the  water until the well runs dry" 

Greetings from Jean.

13 comments:

Susan Heather said...

Wonderful news that it is all done and dusted. Funny, reading about the operation as a lot of that I did not remember.

DUTA said...

'All's well that ends well' - and if you'll soon be back to sewing - that's wonderful!
I sometimes wonder at the simplicity with which people talk about and get used to replacement of parts: eye lenses, knees, hips etc.. Replacement surgery should be the last resort, and this is not always the case. The doctor proposes, the people accept.
If it works, and it usually does, then that's fine.

Carol R. said...

I don't remember a whole lot about my surgery either...other than I asked the dr. a question and he told me not to talk. Glad it's all going so well for you. :)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Glad this one went well, sounds really scary!!

Lori Skoog said...

So glad you are headed in the right direction! Thanks for explaining the process that so many will be going through. Sounds like you are doing well and will be quitting again soon. Relax!

Kate said...

I'm sure our will be happy to be back toy our quilting again. Until then you can pet your fabric and plan.

Carol Mattingly Photography said...

This is so exciting. Can you believe it? Oh, my it's done. How fantastic. I hope you can see everything you want soon. Carol

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I'm so glad to hear that the surgery is complete and you were so well taken care of. The number of drops after eye surgery is impressive, isn't it? It's also amazing how quickly the vision is noticeably better. Hooray!

Grams Jean said...

Wow, so descriptive, awesome. When hubby had his done they had a place, glassed off, where we could watch the procedure, minus the eye drops and the shot in the eye. So glad to know you will be all better soon, and back to doing what you love.

Inger said...

What an amazing description of this process. I had my cataracts removed also and I don't remember a thing. But it made a huge difference as the procedure also did away with my severe astigmatism.

Jenn Jilks said...

I am so glad you had it done. What a relief! It was such an irritant to me, the fuzzy eye sight.

I missed your post in my newsfeed, as you post from a different timezone. Dang!

Anyway, happy to read about it. Great news! XXX

Fundy Blue said...

I'm so happy to hear that everything is improving for you, Jean, passing your tests, having cataract surgery. You have lots to look forward to. I was wondering how I missed these posts, and then I remembered: Covid! It's finally behind me. Wishing you quick healing and much better eyesight. Have a good weekend.

The Padre said...

Welcome Back To The Seeing World - I Sure Hope That The Colors Are As Vivid As Ever - You Deserve A Clear Future - Sending Positive Vibes Your Way

Big Hugs,
Cheers